Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?

Article about: Hi all. I came across this tea set recently. At first I assumed it was a bazaar/ tourist item but upon closer inspection I believe it could have been manufactured by a POW. I am basing this

Default Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?

Hi all. I came across this tea set recently. At first I assumed it was a bazaar/ tourist item but upon closer inspection I believe it could have been manufactured by a POW. I am basing this on other examples of POW manufactured items that I have seen. POW items such as picture frames and cigarette cases were often made from aluminium whereas tourist pieces are often made of brass and bear primitive makers marks. There is also the attention to detail regarding the ladies that adorn each piece (one is possibly in military uniform). Local made tourist pieces usually have native scenes etc on them. Obviously without solid provenance we will never be 100% certain but I would be interested in other people's opinions. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?   Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?  

Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?   Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?  

Is there any markings on the bottoms?

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Without any marking on any of the pieces it will be impossible to know with certainty.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

hi ,

nice set of handcarved aluminium in " trench art / pow art - style ". there is a fiftyfifty chance , that it was made in a pow camp or early after second world war , as souvenir ( i know some pieces , handcarved for selling dated 1945).
    in my opinion , pls show us better pictures from the rivets ( a good indicies , if they are handmade too) and the inside of the can cover.

thx for showing with regards

timo from berlin

Very interesting set. Someone's put in a lot of work into that.

Here are a few more pics. As you say Anderson, an awful lot of work went into this, must have been a labour of love by someone with some time on their hands. No markings but definitely all handmade. The lid on the pot only fits on one way. As I said, I understand it will never be 100% without provenance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?   Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?  

Prisoner of War Made Tea Set?