Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R.A.F. maps found in attic

Article about: hello,here is a collection of maps of an R.A.F. bomber pilot found in an attic .forgotten for over 60 years. very interesting as all lines of aircraft flights and bomb targets are marked on

Default R.A.F. maps found in attic

hello,here is a collection of maps of an R.A.F. bomber
    pilot found in an attic .forgotten for over 60 years.
    very interesting as all lines of aircraft flights and bomb targets are marked on the maps.

ils sont tous passé par le cap gris nez .

fabriqué en papier et coton

Default Re: R.A.F. maps found in attic

Interesting maps.

Do you have any idea who they belonged to or the aircraft they were used on?

Cheers, Ade.

I wonder if they were made at Waltham or Walthem Abbey, I dont really know that area, its not far from London, do you know Ade?
    Ben

Hi Ben, here is some info on map making in WW2:

The National Archives | The Catalogue | Research Guides

Waltham Abbey: there was a show there this past weekend.

Royal Gunpowder Mills Waltham Abbey

Cheers, Ade.

?

Amazing finds! Love to see this one above a bit closer, seems to be a number or something written above The Hague. I live in this area and I know it has been bombed. They bombed a district instead of the nearby Airport Ypenburg.

Could you provide a zoom on this map/area?

hello when i have a bit of time i will try and get it sorted

?

Do you have someone about Salerno (Italy) area?

Was there a name on the inside of the hat at all?

I was lucky enough to aquire a complete set of 8th AF silk escape and evasion maps of Europe... including the rarest of the Blood chits "Ya Amerikanets" for use when flying over Russian territory.

These look like navigator's maps with mission routes and waypoints. very interesting stuff. I would probably be possible to determine the exact mission dates and air group & squadron from the details on those maps.

Hi Guys,

These are wonderful maps, but i seriously doubt used on bombing raids. They appear to date from 42-43 which is very new as far as wartime service maps are concerned. Also, look at the straight 'there and back' courses pencilled in. This is not realistic for a real bombing raid, even towards the end of the war. There would have been several course changes to confuse the enemy, including 'spoof' raids on other targets. these are not shown.

It is interesting to note where the 'targets' are. Late '44 all these places would be in allied control. There are stamps on some, if not all these maps, that show that they came from White Waltham Aerodrome near Maidenhead. This was the headquarters of the A.T.A (Air Transport Auxillary) who's remit was to deliver aircraft to all squadrons in fighter/bomber/training command. Many of the pilots were disabled ex-RAF flyers, over aged for regular service, or women such as Amy Johnson or Diana Barnato-Walker.

I would therefore humbly suggest that these maps were used for ferry flights to the continent late in the war.Aircraft would need to be delivered asap at this time, most i guess fighter/fighter bombers, such as Spits, Typhoons and Tempests, which suffered heavily at this time.

I cannot prove any of this absolutely, but it is at least, a good punt on this interesting thread. I hope someone else could add to this, if i'm wrong,fair play, i look forward to reading other opinions.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast