Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!

Article about: Last week i was in a army surplus shop looking for a warmer jacket than i had on as i work outdoors and i was freezing.I walked around the shop browsing and didnt really find much that was i

Default RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!

Last week i was in a army surplus shop looking for a warmer jacket than i had on as i work outdoors and i was freezing.I walked around the shop browsing and didnt really find much that was in the price range to get ripped and totally messed up with cement etc plus the fact 130 miles away where i live i have a garage full of big warm jackets .I got talking to the guy behind the counter on the way out of the door dissapointed that i had found nothing and was going to continue being cold for the day.As i was talking in the corner high on a shelf on a display head i saw the back of a flying helmet very interested i asked if it was for sale and he got it down for me.I nearly fell over it was a named ww2 c-type with a rare wartime dated Htype oxygen mask fully wired.I asked him if it was for sale and he said well more of a display item really 'bloody thing has sat up there for years your the only bloke ever to ask about it .Some old bloke bought it in years ago and i gave him a couple of quid for it novelty reasons really' Basically the conversation went on and i remained cold for the day with a smile on my face took it home and clean the thick dust from it and treated the helmet the mask is mint i cant beleive it still.I would love to know more about the origional owner but guess i will never find out.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!   RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!  

RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!   RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!  

RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!  

Default Re: RAF flying helmet and mask found in army surplus shop!

Worth being cold for a day on this find ya lucky bugga

?

Try to find roy spiers who was at RAF Acklington between 1960 and 1986. You can compare the number 3032953, to the name I found in the web. There should be Air Force lists from that period in National Archive at Kew. Mayby this will be lucky guess.

you should get Steve M to look at it.

cheers

You lucky bar-stewARD !

Steve T

?

Very nice I would go cold for a day for that flight helmet, but I know my ears would have been warm that day. Gary

A belated entry to the thread......

The service number relates to ex-Air Training Corps (ATC) cadets who enlisted at Euston depot from May 1943 onwards and is an OA's (Other Airman) service number. As this number and name do not appear to be listed in the London Gazette, it would be reasonable to assume he was not later commissioned and thus will not appear in any RAF lists. He may well have been "aircrew under training" and given the excellent condition of the helmet, did not complete training. Alternatively, he may have been a fitter that required him to undertake occassional air tests hence the good condition again.

The helmet itself is a late pattern, internally wired "C-Type" RAF helmet as stated. You will find size details and a "22c/XXX" reference number stamped into the leather in the area where the socket is wired into the helmet. It is sometimes very faint to discern. Sizes were numbered 1 - 4, 4 being the largest. It will probably have a WD /I\ rather than an AM Crown as it is a late war period piece dating from 1944 onwards.

Mask is as stated and although wartime dated examples are scarce (normally 1945 dated, rarely 1944), this model of mask remained in use up until the 80's and 90's in training units.

As an ensemble, I would suggest an approx value of around £3-400 depending on the size of the helmet - a size 4 would be quite desirable for the re-enacting market as well as a collector.

I suspect the original poster may already know most of this so I ask forgiveness for the lecture entitled "Eggs - and how to suck them"!

Really great find, Congrats..................!

Now all you need are a pair of MKVIII goggles !
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi
    Great find always wanted one but never had the luck yet, great condition for the age well done.
    the info skypilot gave is interesting always willing to learn.
    dave.