Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Rare Find in the Attic

Article about: fan bloody tastic !!

Default A Rare Find in the Attic

I didn't think that it would be possible to even find what I found after all these years.

back in 2007 I returned to visit family in Switzerland and stayed in my family's holiday home in Eastern France near a village called (Pardon my spelling) Aielviller. The building was an old powerstation, first built in early 1918 and renovated by my grandparents in the early 1990s into a home.

Apparently there was a large pile of sawdust on the attic and my grandparents decided to clear it away. After shoveling a few loads into buckets, my grandmother was staring at a muzzel of a rifle, poking out of the pile of sawdust. The rifle turned out to be a M1892 Mannlicher Berthier, completely original with no missing parts. I do not know how long that carbine was in the sawdust, but although it had a little surface corrosion, the magazine looked as if the gun was made yesterday .

i also discovered a Poliu Helmet (sadly rusted through) and a rusty bayonet in its sheath.

I managed to have it sent to New Zealand, and i am now the proud owner of the only original M1892 in the country!!!.

The Carbines stock seems to have the soldiers initials dotted into it by what looks like a needle, its only just visible .

If anyone knows how to trace weapons to what unit they served etc. it would be great to know, as its a mystery where it has come from. hope the weapons number and soldiers initials helps:

Initials: D.G.
    Number: 86194
    Built at St Ettiene arms factory, France, in 1894.

Cheers

Default Re: A Rare Find in the Attic

Wow, what great finds. How did you send it back though? Did customs have to deactivate it? Any pictures when you get a chance. Thanks mate.

was going to add pictures, but my pc is playing up, i will some other time. Customs was no problem at all, the weapon was sent by mail and no its not deactivated, its registered as a usable firearm in New Zealand. In NZ, its very common in the rural areas for families to have at least one firearm at home, many friends have Lee-Enfields and other such weapons brought back by family members from the war, and are still used for hunting !! so Customs and Police registrating was a breeze

Here are the promised pics of my Berthier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Rare Find in the Attic   A Rare Find in the Attic  

A Rare Find in the Attic   A Rare Find in the Attic  

Wow, it is in great shap.e A good keeper.

Very nice condition.......................!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Damn lad that is a great story and the rifle is very nice. It doesn't get any better.
    Steve

Must be great just for things like this to just appear in attics and in the back of cupboards Looks to be in great condition even after all these years

Thanks for sharing it with us

Danny

marksman76
    ?

wow! a rare find indeed, your one lucky man!

great find

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast