Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Really, really old sword

Article about: I don't know the technical names for the different parts of a sword, so, please bear with me, and after your done laughing at me, all help is greatly appreciated! This sword looks really old

Default Really, really old sword

I don't know the technical names for the different parts of a sword, so, please bear with me, and after your done laughing at me, all help is greatly appreciated! This sword looks really old and slightly on the primitive side. The blade has some sort of engraving or etching on both sides, barely legible. What we can make out is an orb with a Maltese cross on top of the orb. There may also be eagles of some kind? There is also some sort of name? incised in script into the flat side of the blade...Sottenstein? Blade length is 30-1/2". The scabbard appears to a reptile skin, snake? It is still soft and supple and in remarkable condition for the age. The decoration may be brass. Thanks guys!

Really,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old swordReally,  really old sword

You are asking a question about the sword.We are not laughing at you at all.That is why the forum is here to answer questions about artifacts of all kinds

Can you make out any of the writing at all? It is not possible to read in the photos, but in hand may be legible? It is very difficult to determine just what country this may be from without knowing what is written on it. For the moment, I would be tending towards a Hungarian Executioner's sword from the 17th century,as the blade is extremely heavy in construction, but that is just a 1st impression. Very doubtful that is could be a combat sword.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks to possibly have been made from parts, an odd one. The brass mount looks like something from a breast plate or an epaulette.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I think it may have been pulled from a large stone somewhere near Glastonbury......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I'm with Jerry on this one as it appears to be a Frankenstein! Very interesting though to see what it is comprised of and it looks damn old too.

it is maked,a souvanier on the back of the blade,so a tourist item.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    it is maked,a souvanier on the back of the blade,so a tourist item.
    One of those Khyber Pass lash up's similar to the fake rifles, muskets and flintlock pistols emanating out of the India-Pakistan border region perhaps?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The hilt looks as if could have started life as something similar to this perhaps.

Really,  really old sword

A very poor copy of something like this. I think Ned is on track.

Check the throat of the scabbard. It is poorly made and the
    material is too thin to be genuine. As Jerry says, the brass
    decoration is likely an epaulette.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast