Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Really, really old sword

Article about: I don't know the technical names for the different parts of a sword, so, please bear with me, and after your done laughing at me, all help is greatly appreciated! This sword looks really old

Not to mention, that the Tang looks to be impossibly thin and impractical for use...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

If that does say Souvenir, it could mean it's a souvenir for when somebody left a job, or when it was captured in whatever circumstances etc. I would not say it definitely means a mock up item made for tourists necessarily. That said, that brass bit certainly struck me as an epaulette.

It's an odd design, and does look a bit incongruous.

Is the writing you see on the guard french please? The sheath also looks like snakeskin can you confirm this please.

[QUOTE=KarenFC;1141431] The scabbard appears to a reptile
    skin, snake? It is still soft and supple and in remarkable
    condition for the age. Thanks guys![QUOTE]

Give it a wipe with some window cleaning solution
    and see if it cleans up immediately - it looks
    like vinyl.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Not wanting to be negative but this does look like the type of sword that is found commonly in the Muscat souq in Oman. This stuff pours in from India and always looks old (of course) but also poorly made.

In regard to fake rifles, a friend also bought what looked to be a very convincing Martini Henry in Oman, so convincing in fact that customs prevented it from leaving the country as it was classed a 'national treasure'. Further research with various experts deemed it a fake.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    If that does say Souvenir, it could mean it's a souvenir for when somebody left a job,....

....It's an odd design, and does look a bit incongruous.
    If somebody gave me that rather than a gold watch, a slice of cake and a cup of tea after enduring over 40 years slaving away with my nose to the grindstone, i'd be positively apoplectic and somebody would soon be feeling the keen edge of my recently presented cold steel tickling their innards.....!! The utter barstewards!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

So aggressive Ned! Did someone not find their easter egg this year?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2