Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Rolls of bandage found in old storehouse

Article about: I have been working for my grandfather lately and while cleaning up in a storehouse I found these three rolls of bandage. The house is made in the late 1700s or in the early 1800s, to give a

?

Default Rolls of bandage found in old storehouse

I have been working for my grandfather lately and while cleaning up in a storehouse I found these three rolls of bandage.
    The house is made in the late 1700s or in the early 1800s, to give a better description of where they were found.

Anyways, while moving a old table these three rolls fell out. My grandfather was going to throw them away, but I asked if I could have them and got them.

They are fairly fragile and when I tried to pick off a small bit of dirt a small string of the bandage easily followed. Thats the reason why I haven't removed any of the paper yet.

I would mainly like to know if anyone have any idea where they are from (country) and from when.

The rolls are around 9,5 cm to 10 cm in height and 7 cm to 7,5 cm in diameter. VERY compact rolled, with a tiny whole in the middle.

Would just add that in the very same room there where a german poncho/tent from ww2 and some jerry cans from 1943 in the same room.
    I really wanted the poncho/tent, but my grandfathers father bought it in the 1950s. And because it have been in his close family for so long I decided not even to make an offer.

Pictures:

Yes, I know the pictures are bad, but I tried over and over to take better pictures with better resolution, but all I got is a simple compact camera..

Rolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouseRolls of bandage found in old storehouse

?

Hi Kevlar.

They look like WOW bandages, (White Open Weave). Basically they were/are used to hold a dressing pad in place over a wound.
    I believe that they were in use from the turn of the C20th up until about the mid 1990's. As more modern bandage materials, stretchy crepe and self adhesive etc, have become available over the years these have gradually dropped off the radar and, in the UK at least, have not been around for some years. They have certainly NOT been advocated as part of any first-aid kit since before the early/mid 1990s in the UK.

So, as to age, you are really looking at anywhere between early 20th century up to about the early 1990's. Unfortunately, unless there is a date stamp on the paper wrapper, you are going to be hamstrung with getting a more accurate date line mate.

Nationality wise, pick a country, just about every nation has used this type of bandage at some point.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Okay, thanks a lot! Now I got a lot better knowledge of what I got sitting here

I hoped that they were worth anything. Although I won't sell them, at least not in the near future. What are they worth as a bundle, maximum 30 bucks?

?

Quote by Kevlar View Post
    Okay, thanks a lot! Now I got a lot better knowledge of what I got sitting here

I hoped that they were worth anything. Although I won't sell them, at least not in the near future. What are they worth as a bundle, maximum 30 bucks?
    Hi Kevlar.

Value wise, unless there is proven provinence, ie: in the shape of any markings, date stamp, government markings etc, you are looking at a few pounds GBP at most.
    Like I said above, this type of bandage in this form, has been used by just about every country on the planet and by as many armed forces.

Sorry I cant be of anymore help mate.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

That's really more than enough, no markings or anything to help me get any further either.

You have helped me plenty, and I really appreciate that, thanks!