Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Royal artillery house clearance finds

Article about: Wrong Tuscania I fancy. There was another one built in 1922 for the Anchor Line. Rob

Default Royal artillery house clearance finds

Hi got a call from a friend who does house clearance and came accross this little lot saved it before the car booters had a go luckily.I know the big old trunk is ww1 period and s.s. Tuscania made at least one trip to Bombay from Liverpool so Sgt M.J.Huges must have been in ww1 his number is 1952427.But the metal trunk dated 1940 has Capt (QM) 225336 i assume this is post war painted as i have a clothing receipt dated feb 1945 and has him as Lt Hurst.A later bit of paper work dated 1947 has him as Captain on it.His medal bars do not carry the ww1 Medal ribbons though why not ??? cant find a thing anywgere about him so possibly will never know .Interestingly there is a leather strap from what looks like a Sam brown dated 1917 and a nice big leather belt with brass buckle dated 1935 very confusing and if anybody can help me with any info on this guy please dont be shy id love to know more.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Royal artillery house clearance finds   Royal artillery house clearance finds  

Royal artillery house clearance finds   Royal artillery house clearance finds  

Royal artillery house clearance finds  

Default Re: Royal artillery house clearance finds

Wow, a great pick up. I see he must have been in the highland division. Interestingly, his BD blouse is by the same maker as the one I bought recently. Does it have any other stamps or markings on it, a broad arrow for instance?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi yes a broad arrow

yes 51st highland division so he must have seen some action!!

His medal bar for Africa has the silver number 8 attatched as well

I noticed the 8 on the Afrika star ribbon, so he was there with Monty and that fits with him being in HD div. Also I noticed he has the Italy star and the France & Germany star, so probably shipped back to blighty after Sicily and the Salerno mutiny and was there for DDay. Well 7th of June to be precise was when they landed.

Can you show a picture of the broad arrow in the BD please?

Thanks.
    Regards,

Jerry

Jerry will put it on during the week after photos put the box in the loft.

Quote by airwarrior View Post
    Jerry will put it on during the week after photos put the box in the loft.

Thanks, that will be great, when you can. Great pick up, I am envious of such a wonderful grouping
    Regards,

Jerry

Wow, nice group

I don't think he could have been in WW1 as he doesn't have any WW1 medal ribbons. I am thinking inter-war service and a commission in ww2?

The 5 F diamond thing is a battery flash for a tropical helmet. I will see if I can work out which one...

Rob

Thanks did think that about the ribbons as in post but SS TUSCANIA was torpedoed in 1918 with American troops aboard!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast