Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Southern Poland attic finds

Article about: Hello everyone, Its been a while since I posted on this forum. I've been focused on US militaria but recently came into some foreign pieces. I remembered what I first collected, old photos o

Default Southern Poland attic finds

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I posted on this forum. I've been focused on US militaria but recently came into some foreign pieces.

I remembered what I first collected, old photos of my uncles in the Polish army and thought it was about time to go back to my Polish roots!

Not everything pictured here is Polish, but all of it was brought back by my father.

I'll write a short description of each item as time.

Hope you enjoy,

Artur
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Southern Poland attic finds  

These three items came from my father's home west of Tarnow.

The house was completed in 1938, and my grandmother remembers the Germans occupying a house near by.

Folowing the German occupation, Soviet troops marched through the area to the west. The house did not originally belong to my grandma but to her aunt, and her aunt used to serve food to troops of both armies.

I suppose a soldier forgot his kit one afternoon!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Southern Poland attic finds   Southern Poland attic finds  

Southern Poland attic finds   Southern Poland attic finds  

Southern Poland attic finds  

The mess kit is Soviet and is dated 1939. My Russian friend translated the kit, the lid roughly translates to Andre and the the bottom translates to Zelenkiev. THe name is Ukranian and since the trooper etched a panzer and a swastika, I can only assume he served in the German army.

My dad found this on a trip he came back from yesterday. Dad thought he found everything in the attic, he missed this one.

Its not a clear shot, but the stamp is dated 1931. And no, I asked already and he dosen't remember seeing a helmet lying around!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Southern Poland attic finds   Southern Poland attic finds  

This came back from yesterday as well.

Dad was visiting his uncle in a neighboring village and a friend of my uncle stopped by. My dad had nothing to lose so he asked this friend if he had anything lying around his farm from the war.

Yes he did!

Unfortunately, it was rusted shut and the farmer opened it up with a hammer. Its stamped "Silesia, 1939." I'm planning on cleaning it a little bit, but its still a nice first example.

I love the engraved mess tin!....

My dad also received a 1939 Soviet mess kit but left it in Poland. So I have another example and didn't have to pay a dime. Well, my dad did; a $25 bottle of vodka!

Dad found this bag on a buisness trip a few years ago. He said he found it in a an old junk shop off a side street in Tarnow.

The owner said it was from WWI. I tried researching it and found absolutely nothing. It looks similair to the Soviet NCO bag of WWII, but has different features.

I have NO IDEA what the time period of this item is.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it!

That's all I have to show today.

Etched 1939 Soviet mess tin (with another one in Poland)
    1940 German canteen
    1939 wz 31 mess tin
    1931 German helmet liner
    And a case I have no idea about!

do really like the personel engraved items, see many US GIs doing this to there canteen cups and mess kit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast