Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???

Article about: Hello. This has been in my grandfather's bureau for as long as I can remember. I am 32 years old, and my mother just passed away, so that makes this mine now, but unfortunately I don't know

Default SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???

Hello. This has been in my grandfather's bureau for as long as I can remember. I am 32 years old, and my mother just passed away, so that makes this mine now, but unfortunately I don't know the story about who my grandfather got- or took- this from. It also had the little bullet inside of it all this time that you can see in the 2nd-4th pictures. I figure it is a hand made brass cigarette case, with a flip-up top, and very nice etching detail on the front, with SS symbols, "329th" and "8AMP3". On the back lists all of the places the Army took, - FRANCE, LUXEMBOURG, HOLLAND, BELGIUM, GERMANY, CZECH, AUSTRIA

I know a few stories about my grandfather from WWII, but I'm hoping you all can help me to discover where this incredible case may have originated. It really is quite incredible now that I realize an SS Soldier may actually have made this case- gives me goosebumps just to think of it! I would greatly appreciate any information you can decipher from these horrid photos.... I will work on getting better images uploaded, it's actually in much better shape than the photos portray! Thank you so much, and God Bless you all.

SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???

?

Default Re: SS Soldier's Cigarette Case- "329th 8 AMP 3"- POW Trench Art???

Hello Rachael and welcome. It looks like trench art.

The country names were put on there by an English speaker, if a German speaker put them there the names would be in German so it's doubtful an SS soldier made it. The inscriptions look American so I can't figure out the SS runes or why they would be there.

Better pics would help of course!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Very cool! Great item. I don't think it's handmade but customized instead. Factory case, professionally etched for the ss man , then scratched into by your grandpa. IMO . Welcome to the forum , btw.

Dean.

-Edit-
    Also, the center of the triangle almost looks like the crosshairs of an anti aircraft MG.

If it was professionally made, it would likely have an elastic band inside it, or the holes to attach one. Otherwise, everytime you opened it to get a cigarette out, they would all fall out in a pile and you'd have to constantly take the time to lay them back inside in an orderly row again. I think Adrian is closer to the mark on this piece-it looks like a well-made trench art made from some carefully bent sheets of thin cheap brass and more crudely engraved with things the owner wanted to remember, such as places he'd been, troops he'd met, etc. I, too, have no clue as to why the runes are there unless, it's as I said, troops the owner had fought against? It's certainly interesting, in any case.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hello
    why a 83rd Division sign ???
    cordially
    Didier

?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Wow, amazing link. You blew my mind with the world of information you just led me to. Thank you so much!!! Merry Christmas. -Rachelle Palmer

- - Updated - -

I suppose that's the division my grandfather was in?

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm beginning to put two and two together and truly believe my grandfather made this to memorialize all of the places he'd been (and survived, amazingly). It's really incredible how quickly you all helped me out, Thank you and merry Christmas! -Rachelle Palmer

Thank you for your quick reply. You are all amazing and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your info. you've helped to discover this incredible family heirloom, and I am so proud of my grandfather. I am grateful for finding this site. Thank you, and Merry Christmas. Sincerely, Rachelle Palmer