Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

a strange "thing"

Article about: Hi all. Found this at a car boot sale. It was so odd I had to pick it up. The main "body" is quite good brass I think. There appears to be lots of solder used to fix the top in pla

Default a strange "thing"

Hi all.

Found this at a car boot sale. It was so odd I had to pick it up.
    The main "body" is quite good brass I think.
    There appears to be lots of solder used to fix the top in place. I'm wondering if someone just tried to "glue"
    it back together, and the top has had a hole filled in... Oh, and the badge isn't straight.

Does anyone know what this is/may have been?

Regards,

Brian.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a strange "thing"   a strange "thing"  

a strange "thing"   a strange "thing"  

a strange "thing"   a strange "thing"  

Default Re: a strange "thing"

I'm pretty sure that this is an artillery shell fuse protector for safely transporting shells. This explains the Royal Artillery badge on the front. The tops of these are usually turned inside out to form a sort of egg- cup shape but this one looks like the top has been chopped off and then re- attached? I'l upload a pic of mine.

Vicky

Here you go...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture a strange "thing"   a strange "thing"  

a strange "thing"  

Spot on!

Thanks Vicky.
    It looked so cobbled together with the solder all over it! The top piece was just wedged in.
    Learned something......

Brian.