Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Things That Turn Up In Normandy.

Article about: On another thread I've posted a couple of things that 'turned up' during my Normandy holiday last week. Of course, these days ( and especially the week after the D-Day Anniversary ) you're r

Wink Things That Turn Up In Normandy.

On another thread I've posted a couple of things that 'turned up' during my Normandy holiday last week.

Of course, these days ( and especially the week after the D-Day Anniversary ) you're rather unlikely to stumble across Tiger roadwheels and the like. Everybody watches Combat Dealers !

But, if you keep your eyes peeled you can still find some odd things. I mean...

...there we were cruising along a quiet country road not far from Villers-Bocage when - Slam ! - no, not an 88, but me hitting the brakes when I spotted a 'Brocante' sign by the road.

Straight away, I was rather taken by a steel handcart. Out comes the proprietor who's obviously amused at my interest. 'C'est pas militaire' he says, when my wife explains. 'It's a cart for carrying milk churns from the farm'. He shakes his head when I start taking pictures.

Yes..but - those wheels dated 1943.....definitely military !

Anyhow, it's just too big to drag back to the UK.

You know, I reckon they're maybe Bren or Universal Carrier wheels. And the Eagle-eyed may note the two 1943-dated WD Jerrycans behind the cart.

Anyhow - this time I had to take pictures, not the relics. After all, divorce didn't seem like a great option...... .....the wife bought a couple of teapots instead !

Very nice spot... how much was he asking for it?

Wink

I didn't ask !!!

The reason being - if he'd said '500 Euros' I'd have been irritated at a potential rip-off, and if he'd said '50 Euros' I'd still be losing sleep thinking that I should have just bought it and sawed the split pins off......after all, they are genuine Normandy relics.

Put it this way, the two teapots my wife got were very collectable, asking price for the two was E70.- which he immediately dropped to 50 when she pulled a face.....

So at least I can sleep soundly......

Well thanks for posting,its always really interesting just what pops up,sometimes in the most unexpected places.

really difficult to find real normandy items nowadays, thanks for posting