Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Treasures in a scrap yard

Article about: I think I've seen all these helmets at the port, Callis, I seen them in neatly stacked the back of a tipper truck through the window of the coach we were in, this was last year so is it poss

Default Re: Treasures in a scrap yard

I think I've seen all these helmets at the port, Callis, I seen them in neatly stacked the back of a tipper truck through the window of the coach we were in, this was last year so is it possible that its the same lot?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I think I've seen all these helmets at the port, Callis, I seen them in neatly stacked the back of a tipper truck through the window of the coach we were in, this was last year so is it possible that its the same lot?

Callis? I donĀ“t identify the place. Maybe Cadiz?

No, I am sure they are not the same helmets, because these photos were taken twelve years ago, all of the helmets you see in the photos were crushed and turned into metal beams (or whatever they do with scrap metal).

Regards,

Gus

Quote by Dirt Detective View Post
    Great story and pictures..any photos of the lot of 38 German helmets? On another note, I lived in Spain for two years 1978 and 79 beautiful country, would love to go back someday.
    Thanks for your kind words.

No, unfortunately I have no photos of the 38 helmets. I had a helmet overdose after so many days and never though about making pictures of the haul. I know I should have made them.

But all of the helmets were basically in the same condition as the one I kept. It has several paint layers made over the years of being used as a helmet for the recruits. The inside shows a kind of mouse grey paint that I believe is the original paint. I had to scratch the paint to see the markings of factory and size (ET 68). The chinstraps were all spanish (the originals were surely long gone). I added a german chinstrap to my helmet. The liner band, leather and the rest of the pieces in that department seem to be original to the helmet.

If you want more photos, let me know. I have my camera in the repair shop at the moment, but can make a few more photos when I have it back if you desire .

regards,

Gus

So theres possibly more helmets? The didnt look like they were going to be scrapped because it looked like someone had taken time to put them in the truck.........

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    So theres possibly more helmets? The didnt look like they were going to be scrapped because it looked like someone had taken time to put them in the truck.........
    I am sure there must be still a lot of really vintage military items in the many quarters in Spain, hidden in forgotten warehouses. Surely a lot of german WWII material (helmets, aviation equipment, etc) as well as american WWII surplus material given to Spain when Franco and Ike became friends and began setting up US military bases in Spain.

It is quite hard to investigate and search inside the facilities if you have no connection in the military, so they will basically remain there until someone need space and just sells the "junk" to a scrap factory or a dealer.

Regards,

Gus

Gus,
    Amazing find, are you still selling?
    navyman.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Gus,
    Amazing find, are you still selling?
    navyman.
    Navyman,

No, I just found 38 german helmets and sold them as a lot to a dealer long time ago. I kept only one for me that will never part from my collection.

Regards,

Gus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3