MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

United Veterans of the Republic?

Article about: Hello all. I found this in a 2nd hand store in Omaha Nebraska in the 1980's. It is made of silk in the original frame. I have tried and tried to track down ANY information about this window

yakswak
    ?

Default United Veterans of the Republic?

Hello all. I found this in a 2nd hand store in Omaha Nebraska in the 1980's. It is made of silk in the original frame. I have tried and tried to track down ANY information about this window hanging. It's similar to others but is unique in itself as having five members in service with one fallen. I live in L.A. and have even gone to the address on the sticker in back but to no avail. I would like to know if there are any others out there and what this might be worth. Everyone here seems so knowledgeable.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanx. Yak.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture United Veterans of the Republic?   United Veterans of the Republic?  

United Veterans of the Republic?   United Veterans of the Republic?  

United Veterans of the Republic?   United Veterans of the Republic?  

United Veterans of the Republic?  

?

Default Re: United Veterans of the Republic?

Found this and looks like you guy was a Ballonist and his Balloon was sponsered? by Goodyear California so maybe ask the Goodyear archivist about this man. The report is dated 1926 and the others pilots involved seem to be career pilots. Hope this helps.
    http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/...4-04-0167a.pdf

48 Stars on the flag, they relate to the number of states in US don't they? When did the US have 48 states?, That'll help to date it and then we can work out which conflict it relates to.
    Only a thought.....
    LUCKYSTRIKE

Hi Yak, I have never seen one like this before, but I have seen many different types.

Hi Luckystrike, 48 star flags were used in both World Wars.

Cheers, Ade.

Well spotted Ade, thats another theory out of the Window!
    I personally believe this is 1950's for the Veterans of the Korean War 1950 to 1953. South Korea is known as the Republic of Korea, even its design appears 1950's rather than WW2 or earlier.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

yakswak
    ?

Hi guyz. Thanx for the posts. If you look at the tag at the back you will notice it says "..serving in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during the present National Emergency", and is dated October 26, 1941 with the U.V.R seal. I have studied WWII for 40 years and in all my research have not been able to establish, identify nor appraise this item which I feel may very possibly be the only piece left in existence. I'm sure there were more as mine is numbered 03023 and was issued in Omaha Nebraska. I have tried all the "usual" avenues of info and hope you all may still be able to help.

Thanx,
    Yak.

yakswak
    ?

Also, noting a response, the relative size of the Korean Conflict and the number of U.S. forces involved would seem to preclude the possibility of having five service members (one fallen) from the same family.

Thanx again,
    Yak.