Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Waco CG4A glider graveyard KC area.

Article about: by mckinley If you would like to see our story, visit Feature - The Comeback of the Waco Glider Thank you ,great story,nice to see some people want to save our history.

?

Default Re: Waco CG4A glider graveyard KC area.

The parts certainly look Waco Hadrian - I gave the remains of one to the Yorkshire Air Museum - looked like this then & its is amazing what they have done with it - The bottom photo is a cockpit section - you can see the rudder pedals! I recall the tubing being very thin walled and rusted out on the lengths and would eventually just leav a pile of joints - these photos look quite old so that is all that may be there now? I still have the pitot head somewhere. Loads of them were brought back to BAD2 Warton near me after use and were scrapped there - the local kids made rafts out of the wings to sail on the river and some fuselages were sold off to be used as garages and chicken sheds - who knows there may still be a frame or two around protected by corrugated iron!

Quote by NickW View Post
    The parts certainly look Waco Hadrian - I gave the remains of one to the Yorkshire Air Museum - looked like this then & its is amazing what they have done with it - The bottom photo is a cockpit section - you can see the rudder pedals! I recall the tubing being very thin walled and rusted out on the lengths and would eventually just leav a pile of joints - these photos look quite old so that is all that may be there now? I still have the pitot head somewhere. Loads of them were brought back to BAD2 Warton near me after use and were scrapped there - the local kids made rafts out of the wings to sail on the river and some fuselages were sold off to be used as garages and chicken sheds - who knows there may still be a frame or two around protected by corrugated iron!
    I have seen pictures of the chicken shed.It would be nice to find one still up.

in 2009 it was rumoured that a glider was being restored with the intention of bringing it to England and then flying it to Normandy for the 65th anniversary of D Day do you know if this is the one?

Christians Dad
    ?

I heard that very story, regarding flying in the 65th anniversary, about the glider being restored at Flabob airport here in Riverside.

I was told they stop having the US airborne jump around Sainte mere Eglise.So I would think the glider would have been the same.

mckinley
    ?

Chris,
    I tried to send you a message about the glider parts near KC. I have all of that metal. The gentaleman in the last of your posted photos is Jim Jones, an old glider pilot that wopld not allow this stuff to continue to rust away. I have donated tons of the metal to other groups that are restoring gliders including the one in California that is being built to be flyable. Contact me at mckinleys@charter.net for more info on all the metal parts I have left.

Frank

It is my understanding that the glider project at Flabob has been abandon

mckinley
    ?

no, the project is still on. Been delayed by loss of hanger space and had to move the project, lack of funding. Missed the 65th ann, but John still plans to fly the thing.

mckinley
    ?

If you would like to see our story, visit Feature - The Comeback of the Waco Glider

That is very good to hear, I will let my son know. He goes to school at the Flabob Academy, the hanger the glider is currently in is within eye shot of his classrooms. When they first started restoring it, he volunteered time one weekend and planned on helping all summer, but nobody ever seemed to be at the hanger on weekends.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast