Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrmacht helmet found

Article about: Not sure if I spelled the topic name right, but you get my point, found an old Wehrmacht helmet on my grandparents' attic a week ago. It has a little bit of rust here and there, a hole, I do

Default Wehrmacht helmet found

Not sure if I spelled the topic name right, but you get my point, found an old Wehrmacht helmet on my grandparents' attic a week ago. It has a little bit of rust here and there, a hole, I don't know if its a bullet hole or something, but apart from that it is well preserved. When i asked my grandfather about it, he told said to me in finnish (my language) that when the Nazis were burning my home town (pello) in the Lapland War, the villagers that refused to be relocated across the river to Sweden, gathered a group, and ambushed some germans that were going to burn some house close to where I live (It still stands there, has some bullet holes, and its partially collapsed, might go treasure hunting there some day when I have time), they took 3 germans as prisoners and took them across the river to Sweden. Thats how he got the helmet, he also told me that he had some belt buckles and other neat stuff taken from the germans, but he cant recall where he had placed them, but told me that they are somewhere around in the attic where I found the helmet from. I will post pictures once I get my camera back from my brother, went to Norway.
    EDIT: And before any of you ask, the house was not burned, but instead used later as a german HQ for a few weeks, the bullet holes supposedly are the aftermath of countless executions of citizens of pello. And the germans taken to Sweden were sent back to germany after the war.
    Last edited by Poromies; 12-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.

?

Default Re: Wehrmacht helmet found

Look forward to the photos and get that attic searched !!!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Its great when items have a personal connection and a story behind them I can't wait to see the photo's and what else you can find

Thanks

Danny

Did some digging in the attic and found some cardboard boxes that had some clothing in them, at first I thought I had found just some old clothes that my parents had worn when they were children, but actually among all the not so interesting stuff, found a pair of boots that look like those standard issue ones worn by german soldiers, they had the iron studs on the bottom too. Going to get some sleep because im going to Sweden tomorrow to visit some family (My swedish grandparents, both lived in Pello during the war, could ask them if they have any interesting stuff) and later this week call my brother that when I get my camera back.

This is very interesting! cant wait to see pictures
    Regards,
    Finn

Look forward to some photos of the helmet.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

Talk about teaseing a man , looking forward to next posting , cheers Raymond

?

Nice to see you back Raymond !!

We have been waiting for these photos for quite a while !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Nice to see you back Raymond !!

We have been waiting for these photos for quite a while !!
    Hey Paul , thanks for the kind words mate , iv been checking in now and then , just not posting much mate , been so busy here but catching up now.
    I didnt realize the date Zuken had last posted , hope he reads this and gets those pics on , hes sitting on a treasure chest going by what hes found so far , cheers mate Raymond