Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight

Article about: Hi Guys, Went to an estate sale this morning and the first thing I saw as I walked in was this MK15 Mod 7 Norden bombsight. Gave the lady \\$300 now its mine.. Dont know what Im gonna do with

Boz
    ?

Default Re: Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight

I never said that the Norden didn't fly over Europe, I was merely pointing out that this particular model had a NAVY plate and model designation. How many B17's did the Navy have in inventory?

dejacque
    ?

Boz,
    I guess I mis-read your post on the Norden Bomb sight find.

"... these sights didn't fly over Germany". I assumed that you were reffering to the Norden bomb sight in general, not just this navy Norden sight.
    I have no idea how many B-17s the navy had, but I do know that the B-24s had the Norden on board when the Navy used the B-24 long range bomber to patrol the North Pacific.
    kent

?

Quote by Boz View Post
    Recall that your plate shows this is a Navy Mk15Mod7. It was never on a B17 or B25 or any other Army Air Corps plane, but the Navy PBY planes had them. So unfortunately, these sights didn't fly over Germany, but they are pretty cool.

I have a friend at work that has a working Norden Bombsight. I asked him about this and he said all Norden Bombsights were marked this way, not just ones used by the Navy. He said the Navy originally asked for the sight and funded the development of it.
    I don't know anything about them, just passing on what he said. His sight is currently on loan to an aviation museum.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Hi Mike,

Your friend is not correct on this. Nordens accepted by the USAAF were so marked and here is a photo of one from a USAAF B-25 removed for maintenance work. You can clearly see the data plate identifys it to the army. The Navy Nordens were used on the PB-4Y and did great work. Nordens were used all the way through the Vietnam war BTW.
    Quote by M422A1 View Post
    I have a friend at work that has a working Norden Bombsight. I asked him about this and he said all Norden Bombsights were marked this way, not just ones used by the Navy. He said the Navy originally asked for the sight and funded the development of it.
    I don't know anything about them, just passing on what he said. His sight is currently on loan to an aviation museum.

Best Regards,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Went To estate Sale Today..Found Norden Bombsight  

dvl
    ?

Interesting and informative thread!

?

Quote by Gary Cain View Post
    Hi Mike,

Your friend is not correct on this. Nordens accepted by the USAAF were so marked and here is a photo of one from a USAAF B-25 removed for maintenance work. You can clearly see the data plate identifys it to the army. The Navy Nordens were used on the PB-4Y and did great work. Nordens were used all the way through the Vietnam war BTW.
    Thanks for the info, Gary. Like I said, I was just passing along what he said. I don't know alot about these sights, but I'm learning.

Best Regards,
    Mike

?

Quite a find there, and in amazing condition. I've got a very battered one which was 'liberated' by a farmer from an 8th Airforce B17. This definately has combat history and the label has 'US Army Airforces Bombsite' marked on it. It also has a US Navy acceptance stamp on it with an anchor. I'd never noticed this. Will post a pic when my camera has charged up. Worth a damn sight more than you paid for it!

colonel
    ?

Hello, I am interested in the Norden unit.
    What do you plan to do with it? This is the first time I
    've used this site so I'm not sure how it works.

Thanks

?

Are there any markings on the bomb site to indicate where it was manufactured and by whom? Many (all?) were manufactured here in Indianapolis, Indiana during and after WWII.

What is the weight on one of these suckers?
    Looks like a small engineblock.

And i envy you... this is one stunning item
    In my eyes easily worth 1000$ plus...

Good luck in finding more of these

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast