Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

what did I buy??

Article about: Just bought these today on a car bootsale. A Kochgeschirre 31 without the top (FSS 39), a Loffel-Gabel Kombination beter known as a spork, and a huge Essen behalter. The spork has a small Ge

Default what did I buy??

Just bought these today on a car bootsale. A Kochgeschirre 31 without the top (FSS 39), a Loffel-Gabel Kombination beter known as a spork, and a huge Essen behalter.
    The spork has a small German marking on the fork, but I think it could be wwI rather than wwII.
    The Kochgeschirre is missing the lid, but has a nice name engraved.
    The huge container I have never seen before, its marked MSa on the bottom, but no clue if its German. The guy selling it told me he picked a load of this stuff up from a former German base, but that is still no garanty it is German.
    I paid 5 euros for the lot, which seems fair to me; I've seen sporks alone sell for 25 euros.
    Anybody got a clue about the large container, and the spork??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what did I buy??   what did I buy??  

what did I buy??   what did I buy??  

Default Re: what did I buy??

If the folding spoon/fork is WW1, it should hava little lip on the spoon handle bottom, which allows it to fit arcoss the WW1 era messtin and allows it thus to be carried inside the tin without rattling, unfortunately, I can't make out the spoon well inthe photo!
    Jagdhorn

The messtin seems a non german messtin, as ww2 german messtins had a foldable lever which could be unhooked to use as a spoon or left on to allow the user to use it as a pan over an open fire. ww2 German messtins have a metal flap to lock the lever in place on the lower section of the main shell, an example in this photo of a standard Wehrmacht messtin of ww2. Are you sure its MSa? the company that mainly did messtins was Metall-Stampf-Riga (MSR)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what did I buy??  

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure the smaller one is a model 31 German messtin made in 39. It's missing the top with the handle. The large one turned out to be a french one, so I binned it with the scrap metal.
    Not to sure about what you mean about a handle turning into a spoon, never seen that before on a German messtin. All mine are reveted to the top and can not be removed.
    I think the messtin on the photo you post is a reproduction, are post war example as it has very odd lugs for the wire handle. Never seen those before on a wartime model.

?

Hallo!
    Feuerbach, you are right! It's a Kochgeschirr 31!
    The messtin on the photo from berthier92 is a reproduction!!
    Gruß, gend

?

a photo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what did I buy??  

Feurbach, you can see by this photo of my example of a WW1 Spork, this shows clearly the lip that Jagdhorn speaks ofwhat did I buy??, on the end of the spork that assists in holding the spork inside the mess tin, when not in use, no lip and it will be post WW1.