Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

What era is this ?

Article about: Hi all I forgot about this item. Once again, bought at a car boot for a ridiculous price (about £3 if i remember correctly) but it has no date markings or stamps that i can see. The only mar

Default What era is this ?

Hi all

I forgot about this item. Once again, bought at a car boot for a ridiculous price (about £3 if i remember correctly) but it has no date markings or stamps that i can see. The only markings are ....

1. A stamp just below the neck thread which reads ICO'55/56

2. Stamp on both brass press studs which reads 'knip hier'

Anyone any idea of the era ? The colour of the canvas is faded blue so not sure if it is even American !

Thanks

Relichunter

Default Re: What era is this ?

The basic design is copied from the US M1910 canteen used in both World Wars. However, yours is not an American product but is a post war copy used by a European army, Dutch, Belgian or German, something like that? Someone here will be able to tell you exactly

Cheers, Ade.

sgtmonroe
    ?

I know this is an old thread to respond to...but no correct answer was ever given. It is post-war Dutch [Netherlands] Army. It is their copy of the U.S. M-1910 water canteen cover. The water canteen is Dutch Army also...

KNIP HIER is Dutch for "click here".

If you want to rid yourself of it I would be happy to take it off you hands!

Welcome to the forum and many thanks for the info ! Great information and right on the money

I may get rid of it, but only if I can find a genuine American war era one

Steve T

appie
    ?

I once had some stuff, copied US items with the same markings (knip hier). They all where from the Belgian army, but indeed they speak Dutch in Holland and Belgium, but the items I had with these markings were surely Belgian as i got them from a former Belgian soldier.
    If you are looking for an original relig US canteen, I have one that I dugg up in Antwerp. Its also has a name engraved on the bottom. No cover, that was long gone.