Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why not

Article about: My dad and I stopped for lunch the other day and when we walked out of the restaurant we saw a second hand shop. I asked my dad if he wanted to go in and he said "why not". I didn'

?

Default Why not

My dad and I stopped for lunch the other day and when we walked out of the restaurant we saw a second hand shop. I asked my dad if he wanted to go in and he said "why not". I didn't find anything but my dad picked these two photos up at a unbelievable price. I know they are not WWII but still war related. The Officer is a tin plate with a photo of him and his wife in civilian clothes. The other photo of the Sgt. is a glass photo. Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why not   Why not  

Why not   Why not  

Why not   Why not  

A great set of finds, but a great pity they're all anonymous now...

may be some info on the back of pics.nice find.

Excellent score, your dad has refined taste...You state that the price was "unbelievable"...Is that high or low?
    cheers, Glenn

?

Great Civil War Photos, sometimes I have found writing on the back of the Pad that overs the photo, you might try to take out the photos and the pad to check.

Too bad neither is wearing a Corp Badge

Dean O
    Canada

?

Guys thanks for looking . My dad got them both for a very low price. We took both apart and no writing on either . Like we said the Officer has a picture behind it which we believe is the officer and his wife ( he is clean shaven in the other photo ) and on the back the two 5 cent stamps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why not   Why not  

Why not   Why not  

Why not   Why not  

?

The reason for the stamps on any Civil War period photo is that it was the Tax on the photo.
    Very good to see it still there, now that you have the photographer, you may find something about him on line as W photography has a very large following!!

Dean
    Canada

?

Dean thanks for the info. I'll tell my dad the news give him something to do now that he is retired. Gary

The Confederate Sgt is almost certainly a cavalryman-note the sabre, an unusual weapon for an NCO if he's not!

PS Looking at the Union officers cap badge, it appears to be a hunting horn indicating light infantry.

I have to admire the 2 nice Union cases, as well. I always look for perfect conditioned ones and pick them up on occasion myself. The material they were made from was Extremely brittle and highly prone to chipping, corner breakage, hinge breakage, etc, so a pair of nice solid cases like these are never easy to find. I've found several of these in different sizes-1/9th, 1/2 etc, but I always try to find them with nice brass frames without corrosion and decent velvet padding. The Blue one you found is particularly attractive. I came across a totally unused and stored case some time ago, and I now have my wife's photo in it and sitting on the desk top here. They were neat pocket photograph holders-a shame the materials did not hold up! A nice find!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast