Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

Article about: Hi all Back in the spring of 2013 you may recall I found a little book in a secnd hand shop and bought it for 50p. It was an original WW1 Hotchkiss manual. This second hand book shop is actu

Default WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

Hi all

Back in the spring of 2013 you may recall I found a little book in a secnd hand shop and bought it for 50p. It was an original WW1 Hotchkiss manual. This second hand book shop is actually the front room of someone's house, converted to a pseudo shop. The guy that runs it is a lovely chap and the kind of person that always has two or three people visiting him whenever I drop into his 'shop'. Anyway, when I bought that manual I gave him one of my RRPG cards and asked him to ring me if he got any more WW2 pamphlets or books in. My parents-in-law live 100 yards from his house so I could always send them round, (rather than drive the 70 miles from my house), if he got anything interesting.

I had forgotten all about this when, out of the blue, I get a call from him. He tells me he has a few more of those booklet things from WW2 and has been holding on to them hoping I would drop in again. He had lost my card but had just found it so gave me a call.

I asked him how many of the books he had.

'Oh quite a few,' he says, 'All with the same chaps name on the front of them.'

'Can you read out a couple of the titles please?' I ask.

He does. I get a little nervous.

'Erm, how many did you say there were?' I ask

'A couple of dozen. Maybe more.'

'And how much do you want for them?'

'Oh, I don't know. Why don't you come and have a look and we can come to an agreement.'

I explain that I will have to send my mother-in-law round but needed to check she can get there first. I tell him I'll ring him back and ring my mother-in-law. She isn't doing anything so sets off to his shop.

I ring the chap back. 'My mother-in-law is just on her way round.'

'Ok.' He says. 'I've had a think and I think £20 is a fair price for them.'

I get even more nervous now, but agree the price and pray that what he has are originals and not some damn photocopies, otherwise I've just been done!

The story goes on but I won't bore you with it. My parents-in-law came round today and brought the books with them.

They are originals. Every last one of them. I am totally gob-smacked.

£20

For this lot !!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

Not worked out which book this poster is out of. Very interesting though!

WOW! I am a LUCKY git!

So, 40+ WW2 pamphlets. The guy must have been someone high up in the Home Guard is all I can think. Whoever he was, he has just made my year.......and it's only January!!!

Steve T

That's great mate, what a score I have a reprint of the blue home guard training manual that I bought from the IWM London a few years back. It has tips on concealing positions, repelling paratroops, building roadblocks etc if it is the one I'm thinking of.

Very good score mate, well done you lucky blighter.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Still not quite sunk in. Sitting here staring at them now! lol

You are, indeed, a "lucky git"! Just the Lewis Gun Manual alone is worth that and quite probably more...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Wow!......

Just what I said when I looked in the bag

?

Very nice!!!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Thanks

Gotta be pleased with that Steve! ..... even makes up for the lousy weather and losing the ashes, eh??

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast