Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Khukri Identification

Article about: I very recently was given this WW1 Ghurka Khukri by a friend who has emigrated to Australia I dont know ANYTHING of it its past, only that it belonged to his father and it was apparantly aqu

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Default WW1 Khukri Identification

I very recently was given this WW1 Ghurka Khukri by a friend who has emigrated to Australia

I dont know ANYTHING of it its past, only that it belonged to his father and it was apparantly aquired whilst at the jungle training school in Belize a number of years ago

I have had it possitively identified as being a WW1 issue Khukri but i want to try and find out what the markings are, as i understand it the 1-6 G maybe a reference to the regt? and the numbers 4420 possibly the service number of the soldier it was issued to?

it has a lovely early design narrow type blade which is well used/sharpened, i also have the sheath and one of the chak mak is still present

can anyone shed any further light on this? its pictured next to a later ceremonial British army version

Ed_Haynes
    ?

Default Re: WW1 Khukri Identification

Yes, I would support your guess that this is for the 1st Battalion, 6th Gurkha Rifles.

They served in WWI (the period in which I'd tend to place this khukri) in India, Egypt, Gallipoli (quite nasty service there), and Mesopotamia. In WWII they were in India and Burma.

I'd guess that 4420 is his regimental number. As this regiment went into British service in 1947, the records have disappeared from research access.

A very nice real (rather than toy) khukri. Nice to imagine it being in the hand of a Gorkha sepoy in the sole battalion to reach the heights at Gallipoli (before friendly fire intervened).

We'll never know for sure.

?

The Gurkhas , who would ever want to have to face those lads !!! I`m glad they were with us , really nice piece there B.H

cheers Al

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Thats very good info Ed, Thankyou, It would be soooooooo nice to actualy know who it was given to and the rest would surely be unravled by service records

sadly as you say a lot of the ww1 records are missing, I might have to try and speak with the IWM and see if they have anything, maybe even a sister blade? which may narrow it down

I agree, It would be lovely to think it was a faithfull servant at important times, if only it could talk.......

Ed_Haynes
    ?

While they are only as helpful as their limited staff and budget allows, I'd suggest you ask the folks at the Gurkha Museum:

The Gurkha Museum Winchester

As this is a Gora Gorkha regiment (a regiment that went into British service), they might have something.

I am not too sure about thin Khukri being WWI. All the WWI khukri,s I have are marked with the crows foot as well as the foundry stamps. Also without execption the handle is of two piece construction and held by two rivets. I would say that your Khukri is between the wars or WWII .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Khukri Identification   WW1 Khukri Identification  

WW1 Khukri Identification   WW1 Khukri Identification  

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

ah, ok, as i understand it though the earlier blades were longer and narower so potentially it could be pre ww1 then? and it could have been made anywhere in the world i suppose!!!

my uncle has a ww2 version that was given to him by his late father (Col Coates of the Royal Irish Rangers) and his is a very simmilar to your versions (which look fantastic!)in design and the case its in, its vastly different to my one anyway

I have contacted the Ghurka Museum at Winchester (thanks for the link Ed) so will see if they can come up with anything definate?

it might not even be a military blade? but the markings must mean something its just finding the info!!!

Quote by Bellerophons Horse View Post
    ah, ok, as i understand it though the earlier blades were longer and narower so potentially it could be pre ww1 then? and it could have been made anywhere in the world i suppose!!!

my uncle has a ww2 version that was given to him by his late father (Col Coates of the Royal Irish Rangers) and his is a very simmilar to your versions (which look fantastic!)in design and the case its in, its vastly different to my one anyway

I have contacted the Ghurka Museum at Winchester (thanks for the link Ed) so will see if they can come up with anything definate?

it might not even be a military blade? but the markings must mean something its just finding the info!!!
    I have just put military kukri into google and found this forum,International Kukri Research and Historical Society » IKRHS » Kukri » Khukuri » Gurkha » Military Knives a site dedicated to kukri research. hope this helps, John. blackpowder44

Bellerophons Horse
    ?

Thanks for that link, upon checking on there there seems to be a lot of definate military Khukri blades with single construction handles, including a Restored ww1Ghurka officers version, that looks remarkebly the same as my one, although my blade looks to have been put to much greater use and bears the marks of use and sharpening upon its entire length

It also says that some blades were made "in house" by either the soldiers themselves or by the individual battalion or regt

i suppose that may explain the absence of a crow foot or makers mark? as they simply didnt have access to one, or even need one as it was considered a simple personal weapon that could be made in a relatively short time, i would also imagine a single piece construction handle would be more time consuming and require more craftsmanship to make it fit to the tang than a 2 piece riveted type would? and maybe the handle was re used from blade to blade if the need arose?