Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification

Article about: Also found this morning at the tractor/farm sortout, was this 1944 dated British aircraft oil tank, part number AW95200, does anybody know what make of aircraft the AW code refers to ? I als

Default WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification

Also found this morning at the tractor/farm sortout, was this 1944 dated British aircraft oil tank, part number AW95200, does anybody know what make of aircraft the AW code refers to ? I also found a smaller one with this one, but will photo that tomorrow. The stencilling was hidden under a layer of grease and I only found when I gave it a wipe over.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification   WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification  

WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification  

Aw stands for Armstrong-Whitworth, makers of amongst others the Whitley and Albemarle. Whitley production ceased in 1943 whilst the Albemarle continued on until 1945.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thankyou for reply Ned, attached picture of the other oil tank, found with it.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification   WW11 British Aircraft Oil Tank for Identification  

Quote by garys39 View Post
    Thankyou for reply Ned, attached picture of the other oil tank, found with it.
    Regards
    Gary
    It's off one of these, a rare bird!

Miles Mentor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hello - the first oil tank is from an Albermarle, the second tank was used in a variety of British aircraft - it's a header tank for the turret hydraulics. I'd be interested in them if you would like to sell them.

Quote by Elliott1940 View Post
    Hello - the first oil tank is from an Albermarle, the second tank was used in a variety of British aircraft - it's a header tank for the turret hydraulics. I'd be interested in them if you would like to sell them.
    Hi Elliott,

Could the tank be used for some other purpose than turret hydraulics, as the serial number L4418 is for a Mentor from the only production batch by Miles of L4392-L4437 as I understand it?

Regards, Ned.

Hi Ned "50" is the air ministry stores prefix for aircraft turret related items. The 'F' suffix and the number you mention make up the stores ref for this item. As far as I know these little tanks were only used as reservoirs for hydraulic fluid for gun turrets. I think you might see some if you can find some pics of the interior of the BBMF Lanc. A bit of a Miles Mentor would be a real find! Cheers Elliott

?

Good spot Elliott. I don't think it's a serial Ned, there isn't room for the bottom of the 'L'.