Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WW2 British 2 Man Commando Kayak

Article about: I've spotted an old kayak, which I believe is WW2 in a boat shed near my local sailing club. I've included a picture of the same type below. So is it worth speaking to the owner about it? an

Reg
    ?

Default Re: WW2 British 2 Man Commando Kayak

Are these collapsable like the Klepper design? Good luck with the hunt Danny.

Reg

Hi Reg, yes they are of that general design.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Plus there is also a modern version made from a Gortex type of fabric, which again is base on the WWII design.

Nige.

Hi, I cant wait to see the pics that Danny will get. This type of kayak
    should be saved from any destruction. I bet it is very rare these days?

Dave.

Quentin Rees
    ?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I've spotted an old kayak, which I believe is WW2 in a boat shed near my local sailing club. I've included a picture of the same type below. So is it worth speaking to the owner about it? and would it be worth restoring it because its in a bit of a state and it looks as if its sat around for many years, but its all there so it might be a good project. Does anyone know anything else about this type of kayak, i.e how many were made? by who? dates etc?
    Thanks

Danny

Hi Danny (and Ade, see the bit about the Mk 10 canoe)

Just seen this link/info..

Just so you know, danny, I am the author of 'The Cockleshell Canoes' book. I hope you enjoy, it should answer any question you have. If you have any difficulty email me.

By now you should have identified the canoe you were wondering about, just in case you have not .. its a Mk 1**.

Its dealt with in ch 4 page 35 of the book, but begins on page 56 .. you will have to read all previous bits to understand how the Mk1** came about. Quantities produced can be found on pg 285.

A picture of the skeleton can be found on this site http://groups.google.co.uk/group/WW2BMC

ref panzer 3's blurb .. its not that rare as there are a number about but agree should be cherished.

ref other comment ..'
    'there is also a modern version made from a Gortex type of fabric, which again is base on the WWII design'.

unsure where this info comes from but i think you are referring to the Klepper and if so its not based on the ww2 design.

Without writing too much ref the Mk 1** had a collapsible nature it went into two/three bags.
    Not to be confused with the MK 2 ( type used on the Cockleshell heroes' raid (see pg 73 ch 5 )which was also collapsible along its 15 ft length BUT VERTICALLY to 6 1/2 inches.

My Mk 2 canoe (I have one of only six of this type in the world) is on display at The National Maritime Museum in FALMOUTH until September 2009 along with another ALUMINIUM canoe the Mk 9 .

Just a little up date about 'The Cockleshell Canoes' book....

This book was first published FOUR months ago in December 2008. The second reprint happened June 2009! 320 pages and 143 photos including new pictures of previously unseen canoe the MK10. YES MARK 10.. ADE

Heavy weight REVIEWS on 'The Cockleshell Canoes'

This from Prof. Eric Grove - Review in Navy News May 2009.

' this volume really is one of the most original, interesting and informative to have appeared recently'

'an excellent and ground breaking work',

'described in great detail'.

From 'The Croaker' April 2009 issue by M.J.A.

'Rees writes well and his narrative flows' with 'Clarity of delivery'.

'a stimulating and revealing tract'

'fascinating and detailed accounts'

Globe and Laurel - March - April 2009 issue by G.A.D

'remarkable book',

' this great and important military and maritime story - which he tells very well',

'good looking and man sized book' with 'stunning photographs'

'Navy News' is a Uk based magazine highly rated. highly subscribed.
    'The Croaker' is a Subscription only magazine especially for Special Forces past and present ONLY.
    'The Globe and Laurel' is a magazine of the Royal Marines.

The Navy News does a free on line edition - review is on page 44.

Hi Quentin, welcome to the forum!

I look forwards to seeing the pics of the Mk10.

Cheers, Ade.

Quentin Rees
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Quentin, welcome to the forum!

I look forwards to seeing the pics of the Mk10.

Cheers, Ade.
    The Mk 10 was found in cornwall!

Due to the extra info and PICS in the REPRINT of the Cockleshell Canoes it should really be termed as a NEW edition. Ref posting PICS .... publishers wont like it if i posted picks!..
    Its a 4 man aluminium version as per blurb on Page 245 in the existing first edition print run.. BUT with added info and lots of PICS!

keep me posted ref the canoes...
    Q
    Last edited by Quentin Rees; 06-17-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: punctuation added

Quentin Rees
    ?

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    I've spotted an old kayak, which I believe is WW2 in a boat shed near my local sailing club. I've included a picture of the same type below. So is it worth speaking to the owner about it? and would it be worth restoring it because its in a bit of a state and it looks as if its sat around for many years, but its all there so it might be a good project. Does anyone know anything else about this type of kayak, i.e how many were made? by who? dates etc?
    Thanks

Danny
    Ref pic enclosed If poss measure length and the length of sponsons ie the tubes on side.. It could be that one is a Mk 1* although i doubt it.

Where is this pic taken? Could you supply tele no plus same for owner of boat shed?
    Q

Hi Quentin, I was not expecting you to publish them here but you do have my email address

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Do I get a credit in the new reprint?

[QUOTE=Where is this pic taken? Could you supply tele no plus same for owner of boat shed?
    Q[/QUOTE]

I found the ref picture on the internet, I cant remember what I searched but it was on google.. I dont have a pic of the actual kayak, I have not been able to access the shed as I havent been anywhere near the sailing club recently. I dont actaully know the owner, all I know that he has given up sailing because of his age/health and that he he knows nothing about the kayak he has. This was according to another member that decided to show me and my Dad around. I'll probably speak to him sometime soon and get a phone number for the owner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast