Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1917 - The Movie

Article about: Ok, following on the heels of the fabulously successful "Midway - The Movie" thread , I thought we would start on safer ground with the next movie review So far it seems like it wi

I've not seen it, but I might make the effort to do so. One of the columnists in the 'Daily Mail' reported that she fell asleep while watching it. The plot seems rather novel if I've understood it correctly... two soldiers going forward to warn a battalion - who are already deep inside enemy territory - that they are walking into a trap set by the Germans. Some of those trenches look too clinically clean as well.

Looking forward to seeing it. Yesterday my son went to the movies to watch it and told me he liked it a lot. I usually pay attention to his criteria, but I am not impartial in this case.

?

I saw it this weekend.
    I would give it a 6.5 out of 10 points.
    Like mentioned, I think I saw 3, maybe 4 Germans in a couple of quick scenes.

The trenches looked good and the equipment worn seemed to be correct. Helmets looked a little wonky.
    I doubt I will see it again.
    It just wasn't interesting enough to watch again.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I missed all the showing's of Midway, so will have to wait till that comes out on disk or TV.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I saw it this weekend.
    I would give it a 6.5 out of 10 points.
    Like mentioned, I think I saw 3, maybe 4 Germans in a couple of quick scenes.

The trenches looked good and the equipment worn seemed to be correct. Helmets looked a little wonky.
    I doubt I will see it again.
    It just wasn't interesting enough to watch again.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I missed all the showing's of Midway, so will have to wait till that comes out on disk or TV.
    With you there Phil, out of the 4 recent war films I've seen "Danger Close" is by far the best, 2nd is "The battle of Jansari" (both had me glued) with "Midway"(a lot of computer game efx) & "1917" a close tie! (was easily distracted during both)

I thought 1917 was a decent movie. While its far from perfect, its still worth checking out.

1917 is an abysmal disappointment. It is like an hour an a half of watching Indiana Jones escape the temple with the crystal head, minus the giant ball. Not a movie I will watch twice for sure.....
    Since everyone has different tastes, some may like it though.

MAP
    ?

Very surprised by the lackluster reviews. I've read other reviews on other forum which generally praised the movie.

I will still try to see the movie but rarely have time to go. Will probably wait till it comes out on a streaming service or on my next long haul flight when I'm on vacation
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Very surprised by the lackluster reviews. I've read other reviews on other forum which generally praised the movie.

I will still try to see the movie but rarely have time to go. Will probably wait till it comes out on a streaming service or on my next long haul flight when I'm on vacation
    Lazy arse!!

I'm with Michael on this one. I will definitely see it but given the reviews,
    I will wait until I can rent it. I have a hard time spending $30 at the theater.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I may be in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the movie! While I do like the more Saving Private Ryan approach many war movies these days have (constant action and fighting) I still greatly enjoy these more slower pace films. I feel like these kind of movies nicely round out the war film genre by showing that not everyday is nonstop fighting and that for the most part, you don't really see your enemy. In my opinion, if you liked the Dunkirk movie, you may enjoy this one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast