Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

Article about: I bought these 3 items today at a thrift store, looking for ideas to make a cheap, but decent looking helmet stand for a M42 German Helmet. The lamp bases were \\$2 each, and the wooden post w

Default 3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

I bought these 3 items today at a thrift store, looking for ideas to make a cheap, but decent looking helmet stand for a M42 German Helmet. The lamp bases were $2 each, and the wooden post was $3. I think the eagle lamp base looks interesting with possibilities. Of course the socket, harp, and all wiring would be removed. Then maybe add a post with a rubber cap so the helmet rests on the cap. Maybe add a good vinyl swastika or Iron Cross sticker to the base under the eagle. Perhaps paint the wooden parts a little darker?

For the wooden post, I might cut off 2/3 off the top since it already has a base. Maybe put a small post on top with a rubber cap. Thinking about putting a repo Iron Cross on the lower section where it is flat.

With the shinny metal lamp base, I'd remove all wiring and bulbs. I thought that the 3 sockets could somehow be fitted to support the helmet. (?).

What do you guys think? Any possibilities here for a helmet stand? Any ideas what you would do? Thrift store are full of things like this.

See photos below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 3 Ideas For A Cheap Helmet Stand

Personally, I like using wood for stands as they add warmth and
    look nice. Great potential there in those old lamps - the one
    with the eagle is cool - You'll have to experiment with
    them and see what works best.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The eagle lamp is pretty cool, it would make a great stand with a bit of modding, good luck

What a great idea! Thanks Tigertoby! I'm sure my wife will not notice one missing either Just kidding A great idea and there are lamps at every thrift store known to man.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Some pretty interesting ideas TB.
    Looking forward to seeing the results.

Brad.

?

1 US WWII.jpg

The lamp bases look pretty cool. I buy 4"x4"x 8' cedar posts and cut them down to 9 or 10 equal lengths. Then use my chop saw to angle the top with about a 1" flat spot right at the top. Put a 1" diameter felt furniture pad at the top for a cushion. Print out the battle/country flag on card stock and glue to the post. For extra interest, attach nails or screws to hang badges or medals, drill a small hole to attach collar pins, or put on "L" hooks to hold a bayonet. Costs less than US$2 per stand; but I like them because they are stable, heavy, and rough looking to compliment the nature of the helmet.
    Last edited by mcmike; 04-14-2013 at 04:26 PM.

?

Stands.jpg

Detail. for awhile I was attaching a flat board to the bottom, but found that this was unnecessary.

I like your stands mcmike. Easy to make and low cost too. I like how you can add what you want to the stand to match the helmet.

Great helmet stand ideas here! I really like the potential of the lamps!

I designed simple wooden ones and built these out of scrap oak. I put padding on top before placing a helmet on it. I sometimes put a belt or buckle on it, or leave room for a chinstrap to be displayed.

For US helmets I use canteens as helmet stands. I borrowed this idea from another collector--and with no space to display the canteens themselves this has proven practical for me.

Looking forward to seeing more ideas here!
    -Johannes

DSC02520.JPGDSC02514.JPG