Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

50 yrs ago today - JFK assassination and a note about PT-796.

Article about: JFK died in Dallas fifty years ago today. in order to mark that (apolitically) on a war relic forum, let us not forget that JFK was also a soldier. He served on the PT-109. Most will know th

?

Default 50 yrs ago today - JFK assassination and a note about PT-796.

JFK died in Dallas fifty years ago today.

in order to mark that (apolitically) on a war relic forum, let us not forget that JFK was also a soldier.

He served on the PT-109. Most will know the story of the PT-109 being hit by a Japanese naval vessel, so wont rehash that here.

Here a pic from the JFK inauguration.

A 'mock-up' of the PT-109 passing by the stands.

In reality the PT-796 painted to look like the PT-109 in honour of JFK's service on that PT boat.

Info, torpedo tube found by Ballard and resting place of the PT-109 & info on the PT-796
    MaritimeQuest - USS PT-109 Page 1

PT-796, info/specs. Today an exhibit at Battleship Cove, the world's largest collection of historic naval ships.
    Historic Naval Ships Visitors Guide - PT-796
    Attached Images Attached Images

?

I as other's of my generation remember the day well. I was setting in a government class in the afternoon when the assassination was announced. Our instructor seemed to be in shock. He was an army combat vet of the south Pacific. The girls started crying, some of the guys too. We finished the school day and I went to my job taking care of my Dads pool hall during the evenings in town. The mood was grim, rumors were rampant. Most believed that the Soviet Union was responsible because of the cold war and the recent standoff over missiles in Cuba. Everyone wanted revenge. We all thought we would be in an all out war very quickly. People were worried. Obviously war didn't break out but little did my generation realize that without Kennedy at the helm Johnson would lead us to war in SE Asia. The Viet Nam war would change us all for better or worse. I am still trying to figure out which way it changed me.
    It was a sad day for America.

I remember also this day, the information came by radio...

I recall watching the inauguaration live on tv. An interesting sidenote was the fact that JFK's crew from the PT-109 were on the PT boat in the parade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.