Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

70 years since the fall of Singapore

Article about: It is 70 years since the fall of Singapore, my avatar is my uncle Lance Sargeant Jack Briggs of the 2/4th Australian machine gun battalion. He was one of 15000 Australian pow's taken in Sing

Default 70 years since the fall of Singapore

It is 70 years since the fall of Singapore, my avatar is my uncle Lance Sargeant Jack Briggs of the 2/4th Australian machine gun battalion. He was one of 15000 Australian pow's taken in Singapore, his brother Roy was another. Roy survived the brutality of the Japanese however Jack did not, he died in September 1943 as a slave labourer on the Burma railway like so many others. He was only 27.

?

Default Re: 70 years since the fall of Singapore

Lest we forget

Lordy, Dave...he looks like he was just a sandy haired Kid. What a Terrible waste. It's a crime that so many Japanese atrocities went unpunished...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

The fall of Singapore was a tragic event......british and commonwealth forces based there were basically sacrificed..senseless waste of youth

?

Lest We Forget

Greg

It is a crime William, they did some absolutely appalling things. Having worked with a great deal of Japanese tourists over the years I was always amazed at how little knowledge they had of their country's involvement in ww2, that is the worst crime of all. I don't believe in punishing the current generation for the crimes of the past but I absolutely believe that they should be aware of them.

?

Quote by sandgroper View Post
    It is a crime William, they did some absolutely appalling things. Having worked with a great deal of Japanese tourists over the years I was always amazed at how little knowledge they had of their country's involvement in ww2, that is the worst crime of all. I don't believe in punishing the current generation for the crimes of the past but I absolutely believe that they should be aware of them.
    Dave you are quite correct mate my experience is the same, the modern Japanese seem to have no idea of the appalling atrocities that were commited by their fathers and grandfathers throughout the whole of Asia before and during the war including Singapore and their treatment of Alleid POW.

RIP to those including your Uncle Jack who suffered and died on the infamous Burma Railway and the Japanese camps.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Cheers Paul.

4md
    ?

Such a tragedy, these poor soldiers were treated so brutally, may they rest in peace