MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advice for a novice collector

Article about: by ZigZag But regardless, the reply's I got from my post lead me to believe he is the exception and you can find people who will help. Thanks There you go!

?

Default Re: Advice for a novice collector

Quote by ZigZag View Post
    But regardless, the reply's I got from my post lead me to believe he is the exception and you can find people who will help.

Thanks
    There you go!

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Yawn - What a load of rubbish.........!
    He is great and everyone else is crap.
    Did I get that right.
    chris

?

I read Roysters tirade with a big grin on my face as every attribute he mentions concerning collectors,dealers etc seems to perfectly describe his own personality and short comings,the one thing you will find here is collectors who all agree on one thing 'there are no experts ' and most ,if not all will tell you that because every day we learn something new no matter how experienced or how big a persons collection is ,but in saying this there are some very knowledgable members here all of whom have nothing to gain except trying to help each other on various subjects, there is no personal prestige to be earned , but most of all we try to make collecting a fun and intresting hobby and hopefully that little knowledge that is imparted helps people to make an informed opinion on any item they own or hope to acquire in the future, my advice to you is research ,research , research , there is no short cuts , join us and enjoy the ride you wont regret it

?

Don't know who Royster is and don't particularly care. Zigzag your like most, your here for the historical artifacts. Guys like Royster can kiss my hairy arse. Enough time wasted with that clown and others like him. Don't waste time with them.

Decide what you would like to specialize in. Don't "buy it all". Start simple. Don't start with anything SS. Post everything before you buy, and network with experienced collectors. Buy good reference books.

Read this thread and apply it to any and all militaria,

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-he...helmet-248258/

Don't be afraid to ask questions but do your own homework too. The answers are right in front of you!

PS for helmets, check out German Helmet Walhalla.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Yawn - What a load of rubbish.........!
    I had never heard of him, either, but after reading that rant I think he just described himself.

In addition to all the above tips you also need to learn how to search effectively across the 'holy trinity' of this forum, Wehrmacht Awards Forum and German Helmet Walhalla - not just the special subject sections but the classifieds as well (when you are allowed to). These searches will give you an idea of what original items, legitimate variations, dubious variations and outright fakes look like and their value (while at the same time understanding that everything is not black or white in collecting - there is a lot of grey).
    I would also suggest looking at dealers sites and ebay so that you understand that dealers often sell overpriced or dubious items and that all ebay items should be considered suspect.
    You won't become an overnight expert - you will make mistakes - but you will become more confident in your judgements over time.
    Terry

Nothing much to add, other than welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

With due respect to those who frequent the WAF estand, it can be littered with fakes.

Avoid eBay like the plague. Avoid Craig's list and similar sites like a house on fire. Avoid private auction sites like a nuclear waste dump.

Books to buy - German Military Cuffbands, the Mollo books on SS insignia, Germany's Combat Helmets 39-45.

Some Dealer sites to frequent for SS cuff titles;
    Roberts Collectibles
    Hannah's Reich
    Collectors Guild

Helmets;
    Ww2germamhelmets.com
    German Helmets Inc
    SS Steel
    RVM Militaria
    Virtual Grenadier

Also if you join GhW participate to become a veteran to access classifieds and incredible databases.

And yes Welcome to the forum!

That quote from Royster made me chuckle, I've never heard of him but he sounds like he has a chip on his shoulder. Perhaps he has some original Napoleon uniforms he can march around in while dictating his tirade.

images (8).jpg

We are a friendly bunch here so please stick around

Quote by tbk0000 View Post
    In addition to all the above tips you also need to learn how to search effectively across the 'holy trinity' of this forum, Wehrmacht Awards Forum and German Helmet Walhalla
    To the trio, I would also add the GMIC. (Gentleman's Military Interest Club). Gentleman's Military Interest Club Index Page
    It's a good site, in my opinion, but that's just me, of course...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3