Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Advise on meeting a Leibstandarte Waffen SS veteran

Article about: Good morning everyone This coming Wednesday , 23rd April , I will be in Hamburg to do an interview with a Leibstandarte Veteran , Herr Kurt Schmidt. He is the grandfather of one of my best f

Default Advise on meeting a Leibstandarte Waffen SS veteran

Good morning everyone

This coming Wednesday , 23rd April , I will be in Hamburg to do an interview with a Leibstandarte Veteran , Herr Kurt Schmidt. He is the grandfather of one of my best friend. He was a SS Sturmann in 1941 and rose up all the way to SS Oberscharführer in 1944 until he was captured by the Russians. His commander at that time was SS Brigadeführer Wilhelm Mohnke.

My previous meetings with veterans were members of the Kriegsmarine who were part of the Monsun Uboot gruppe , The Monsun U-Boats – WW2 German Submarines In Asia

Usually, my interview are very informal and friendly , but since this is my first interview with a ex Waffen SS soldier. I would really appreciate any advise

I have prepared a set of questions for him that his granddaughter , will check for any translation mistakes and also I too take into consideration his age (He will be 95 years old this year) , so Im always patient and will let them tell their story first.

I have 2 questions to ask you guys though :-
    1) Does anyone here have contact with the HIAG in Hamburg ?? He would really like to meet up with fellow veterans

2) I plan to do a walking tour with his granddaughter who is one of my best friends and a native of Hamburg on friday. And it would be great to bring her along some militaria shops or museums. Can you guys recommend some ?? I plan to bring her to Helmut Weitze Antiquitäten , The Internationales Maritimes Museum Hamburg .. any others ??

As a side note - How I met her granddaughter was very amusing !! Im of Indonesian heritage and live & work in Singapore. But I love going back home to Bali , to meet up with friends and family and do lots of surfing And while at a party in Singapore a good german friend of mine introduced me to another german woman who married an Indonesian and living in Bali. We met again for my birthday dinner at Canggu Beach and she found out about my interest in history. Later, a couple of weeks when she was back for a short holiday , she phoned me and told me that her Opa, grandfather was a soldier too , and was a member of the Leibstandarte. She didnt know what this means until I gave her a brief introduction and my interest. She was really surprised and very proud of her Opa .... By the way, even though hes turning 95, he is smart enough to use skype via the iphone 6+ to speak with his granddaughter !!

Yours,
    Ibrahim.
    Singapore.
    ---------------------------
    Looking for all relevant info & items on WW2 German U-boats in Singapore and Asia for my research.
    The Monsun U-Boats – WW2 German Submarines In Asia

Lucky you! A very attractive woman she is... Sadly I don't have any advise for this trip but I was thrilled for your chance to speak with a LAH veteran hence the comment! Please keep us informed for the outcome of your trip!!

WOW!! What an Opportunity. Let us know how this meeting goes.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

Use a quality recorder. DONT FORGET IT

I wish you all luck Sir.