Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

another daft question

Article about: afternoon gents ,i was just wondering what the general consensus was in buying field gear for manequinn displays etc ,i myself am a lofty 6ft 5" and when it comes to buying clothing stu

Default another daft question

afternoon gents ,i was just wondering what the general consensus was in buying field gear for manequinn displays etc ,i myself am a lofty 6ft 5" and when it comes to buying clothing stuggle to find my size in any form ,but does that really matter when looking to display items ,so really my question is do you guys buy with a view to wearing or just a view to displaying if you understand what i mean ,thanks james

If it's modern field clothing i think i'd prefer to have the option of wearing it, i don't think i'd wear older stuff!..

I am always very much suprised when people ask the size of old uniforms or headgear...
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

If you're creating a display on a mannequin you should try and buy items to fit the mannequin, not you as you won't be wearing the stuff. I can't see why anyone would buy things to fit themselves only to put it on a dummy.
    I also don't see why you would want to wear period and historical items when re-enactor supplies are there for that very thing and to avoid the risk of tearing seams, stretching or damaging items of historical value.
    There's no point getting a 5'6" dummy and buying a uniform to fit a 6'6" person. The mannequin will look like a bag of s**t tied up with string.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I would look for a mannequin fitting the uniform I have or want!
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

great points guys and duly noted ,i told you it was a daft question just interested in your thoughts ,thanks james

Well, I for one, like to buy uniforms, helmets, caps, boots and belts in a size that would fit me. If available.
    The oldest of my uniforms, are almost impossible to find in a size that would even remotely fit me.
    People were just smaller in average back then, nothing to do about it.

It is actually strange thing to do, since I don't wear them, but I like it that way.

(Yes yes, I know. It is strange)

thanks 37 webbing for your different view on things ,i agree though people were a lot smaller back then ,my recent trip to berlin was an eye opener , i actually felt at home in berlin even at 6ft 5 i was still dwarfed by a few blokes and the odd frauen

Quote by James C View Post
    thanks 37 webbing for your different view on things ,i agree though people were a lot smaller back then ,my recent trip to berlin was an eye opener , i actually felt at home in berlin even at 6ft 5 i was still dwarfed by a few blokes and the odd frauen
    Well, I've been pondering the same question for some time, and I came to the conclusion that t might have something to do with your motivations behind the collection. I for one don't own a uniform that exceeds junior officer. Most of my uniforms (90%) are privates, only, since I don't see why it is such a thrill to collect the uniforms of pencil pushers. I still enjoy seeing high ranking officers uniforms, since they are a masterpiece in tailoring and what not, but it just adds another dimension to the collection, if you gaze upon it one day and then you are able to tell yourself, "I could have worn that back in the day. That webbing set, that cap, that Sam Brown belt, etc."

You should travel to the Netherlands then. They are officially the tallest people in Europe.

?

You need to get your butt to Holland...When I was there Ger is 6 foot something & his friend Felix is even taller so there is me at 5' 11"..looking like a midget..but when it came to drinking only Ger beat me so I was happy with that lol...

Back to the point the dummy I bought for my NBC display is MASSIVE..this bloke must have been in the front of the weetabix queue lol.. So my display is a little of the target..but I didn't think a dummy would be nearly 7 foot..As for wearing the items I wouldn't..They cost too much... Cheers Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast