Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another one gone!!! !R.I.P Sir PATRICK MOORE. CBE.

Article about: Patrick used to own a house on the Thames at Henley, As part of my duties with the Underwater search team he would often wave us over for tea and a chat. One of the nicest chaps I ever had t

Default Another one gone!!! !R.I.P Sir PATRICK MOORE. CBE.

PATRICK MOORE died today at home aged 89.most know him as the eccentric astrologer,but between 1940-1945 was with bomber command as a navigator reaching the rank of flight lieutentant,another gone from the greatest generation.Regards Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default re: Another one gone!!! !R.I.P Sir PATRICK MOORE. CBE.

That is really sad: I was a big fan of his.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default re: Another one gone!!! !R.I.P Sir PATRICK MOORE. CBE.

Ad astra - R.I.P

Default Re: Another one gone!!! !R.I.P Sir PATRICK MOORE. CBE.

A man of learning whose reputation and achievement reached even to the Antipodes-a sad loss.

Very sad

Also sad was the fact he never got over the death of the love of his life. His only romance ended when his fiancée, a nurse called Lorna, was killed by a bomb which struck her ambulance. Moore subsequently remarked that he never married because "there was no one else for me ... second best is no good for me ... I would have liked a wife and family, but it was not to be." In his autobiography he stated that after sixty years he still thought about her, and that because of her death "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down."

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Thanks Nick for the extra info,never knew about that side of his personal life,Regards Dave.

I was fortunate enough to chat with Sir Patrick after a lecture he gave in the old (and much missed) Museum of Science & Industry in Birmingham over 20 years ago, he was a wonderful chap and as sharp as a tack! I remember him saying that besides having coffee with Albert Einstein whilst undergoing training in the States during WW2, he had also met the first man to fly, Orville Wright, the first man in space, Yuri Gargarin, and the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, some feat!! He will be sorely missed by many of us.

Farewell Starman.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Not only a brilliant astronomer, but also a fantastic glockensphiel player.
    I remember watching him and the deaf musician Evelyn Glennie do a duet on the glockensphiel, absolutely fantastic.

RiP Sir Patrick

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

He was certainly a unique character and will be sorely missed. Old school and probably under appreciated by today's younger generation but he had cemented his place in science long ago.

The man who taught people to look up......

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Not very PC but when you are a legend you don't need to be....I meet him once on Salisbruy train station, back in 1988 in them days we travelled home in uniform...about 10 of us & he made a beeline for us & we all ended up chatting about Army life & so on..very nice man I thought with something about him.... Cheers Terry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast