Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Any Collectors Former Military?

Article about: I was just wondering how many of us are former military personnel? Personally, I spent roughly 12 years in the National Guard and Army Reserves in Wisconsin. I started as a medic, doing that

?

Default Any Collectors Former Military?

I was just wondering how many of us are former military personnel?

Personally, I spent roughly 12 years in the National Guard and Army Reserves in Wisconsin. I started as a medic, doing that for six long years. I got out, took a break and six years later reenlisted in an aviation unit and was trained as an
    OH-58 helicopter mechanic.

I was lured away to the Reserves with promise of a Warrent Officer rank and a nice signing bonus. I actually received neither, long story here, but unable to return to my old unit, stayed on serving in an armor unit as a tank commander.

After doing that for about a year, I resigned due to work commitments. A short time later I joined an Engineering Battlion as the unit's photographer. During my first summer training with the unit, due to my previous avaiation background, I was responsible for arranging helicopter support and flights with an attached helicopter unit. Needless to say, I spent quite a bit of time in the air. I suffered a leg injury during that training period, missed several meetings due to that injury, and resigned after being called on the carpet for those misses.

I was able to transfer to another aviation unit, an Attack Helicopter Battlion. I started out as a mechanic but quickly was promoted to fill a flight status position as an Aero Scout. Flying in the left seat of the OH-58, I was responsible for navigation, radio communications and was actually learning how to fly the helicopter. Imagine getting paid to fly a helicopter, something I wanted to do since high school.

After approximately 5 years in this position, I decided to part ways in the summer of 1986, taking with me some pretty fond memories. The photo below was taken in 1985 as the unit was making an unusual lunch break at a small local air strip.

4558336721_4a76ffccc5_z.jpg

Let's hear your stories and see some photos.

Default Re: Any Collectors Former Military?

Here is me, early 1980's in a Ferret armoured car in Germany!

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I spent 23 years in the RAF Regiment, had a brill time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ben

?

8 years Territorial Army, (Infantry and Royal Engineers)

Might actually get round to posting a couple of scaries of me as a young squaddie one day!

?

Royal Danish Engineers. Have no pics from that time. Sorry. I was in one of three combat groups in the Company as LMG gunner on the MG62, much similar to the WW2 MG42. We of course also took part in bridge laying, mine laying, road demolition and so forth.

?

That looks like a Larkspur RT set Nick, so that would be very early 80s mate.
    We "lost" our A4 series RTs and got Clansman at my TA unit in ?1981, closely followed by the AT pltn losing its WomBats and getting Milan in 1982. (I believe that we were the first TA unit to get Milan - 1st Btn Yorkshire Volunteers)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

14+ years in Army Signals Intelligence. First tour was Germany, followed by stints in Korea, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina and Texas. Lost my pictures when I got flooded in 2006.

Dusty

Quote by jimpy View Post
    That looks like a Larkspur RT set Nick, so that would be very early 80s mate.
    We "lost" our A4 series RTs and got Clansman at my TA unit in ?1981, closely followed by the AT pltn losing its WomBats and getting Milan in 1982. (I believe that we were the first TA unit to get Milan - 1st Btn Yorkshire Volunteers)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    A Larkspur it is Ian ! yes it was 1980/81! A long time ago !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Former US Navy, (1981-1987) as a Gas Turbine Technician - Electrical. Stationed on the USS Oldendorf D D -972", forward deployed to Yokosuka Japan most of my time in serve. Whene we weren't doing doughnut in the sea of Japan, we were chasing the USS Midway CV-41 all over the Indian Ocean.

More notable, I'm the son of a 30 year US Marine who served in China (1945-1947), served in Korea and 2 tours of VN. Also the grandson of a WWII Vet of the Dutch Royal Army who became a POW and became a wartime resident in one of the Burma Labor Camps.

The kid, well he looks like he's heading for the Air Force......

?

I served in the italian landing troops and I am parachute qualified. Long time ago though!
    Regards

Matt