Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Any opinion on this item, please?

Article about: In photo number 5 just off center on the right there appears to be the number 2 L stamped very faintly in the surface unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. Regards Mark K

?

Default Re: Any opinion on this item, please?

I couldn't find the screws that exactly would fit in the holes, so seemingly no threads, it just scratched inside.

?

Can nobody help me, and explain to me for what purpose that piece could be used in militaria? Tom? Mark?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

From all the tool marks on it, could it have been some sort of base for an instrument or tool of some kind? Something attached to it? Have no clue-it may not even be military at all, even if it is of the era. Almost certainly, it would have had military marks stamped on it-the military even marked toothbrushes. William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Gast View Post
    Can nobody help me, and explain to me for what purpose that piece could be used in militaria? Tom? Mark?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary
    Looks to me like it's some unfinished piece of material, perhaps being machined on a lathe or something and half finished? Or alternatively it could be a home-made holder or base for something. It could also be a paperweight for holding down a page of a service manual while working on a vehicle. Another idea.. maybe it was used underneath metal being drilled with a drill press, and took some random holes in the process?

Just because it was found in a box with WWII tools doesn't mean it is related to them. I keep my birth and marriage certificates and such like in a locked writing box that belonged to a Victorian Major-General, along with some period military writing equipment and papers, but they are not related to each other.. you know what i mean?

Rob
    Last edited by Battery Command Post; 10-27-2011 at 09:08 PM.

?

Last edited by Gast; 10-28-2011 at 08:31 AM.

gary im sure there is no need to be "upset" rob is pointing out something im sure most people are know thinking im prety sure that i can't think of a reason that this has had countersunk holes in as i pointed out countersunk holes are for holding two items together flush but there is no way it could be used on your item the problem then is why someone would spend longer making countersunks for no reason? personally im confused and i think rob might be correct in saying its a spare bit that someone just drilled through underneath the bit they wanted and "might" have something to do with ww2 but there is no proof either way and i highly doubt we will ever know what it was used for

tom

Quote by Gast View Post
    Thanks for replying, dear Rob.
    Your sarcasm is not quite appropriate, dear Rob. Of course, I understand what you mean. I feel truly upset with your remarks. That’s why I won’t answer to your comments today. But, please, be sure, I come back to you, when I calmed down.
    Have a good afternoon, dear Rob.
    Gary
    I'm sorry if I offended you. I wasn't being sarcastic, more like realistic. I was just trying to think 'outside the box' and make some suggestions as to why a thing like that might be in a tool box.

Rob

?

Thanks Tom, it's very kind of you. But, it could not be "just drilled through underneath" as it is extremely hard metal. This piece, if you view my pics, is much used. So, if the holes, how you mean, have been just drilled through, why not all over then?? All the holes are not smashed, they have the clearly threds inside, the bottom of them is not trashed. These holes for sure have served a purpose!
    In addition I would like to say to you, that the Man whom this piece belonged, had been a precision engineer during the war in an armoury / arsenal. And please beleive, this piece is not the only piece that since years have been stored in the cellar of my summerhouse.
    Regards,
    Gary

Hello Gary, As you say, the former owner and probable maker of this piece was a precision engineer, so he could very well have made this piece for one specific purpose and when no longer needed, it appears that he kept it to work on as a type of small anvil-from all the tooling marks on the surfaces of it. I know that I have a similar type of metal block on my work bench as well, and it has served that purpose for many decades now-in fact I have forgotten just what it was For originally all those years ago too. You will very likely never know the exact nature of it's origin, but it is Solid and not hollow, so you can tell by that it was made to bear considerable weight. It could possibly be one of a set of solid corner block feet for a very large and heavy piece of machinery to rest on-such as, say, a rolling mill or something equally huge and heavy that couldn't be placed directly o the floor to avoid vibration. The holes could quite well have been for attaching them to the underside of the machine it was supporting and were probably applied from inside the framework of it, as you obviously couldn't run attachment screws all the way through the block which could weaken it-you would Have to go from the top. The machine itself may well have been long ago scrapped out and disposed of, but this handy little solid block may have caught someones eye as useful and taken home. At this point, though, it's all conjecture! It is intriguing though! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thought it was an impromptu anvil myself. When Gary mentioned precision engineer,
    guessed it might have been used as a jig or something of that nature.

I have a heavy, square chunk of steel that my father had for years
    and I sometimes use it as an anvil, but have no idea what it
    is for or where originally came from either.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast