Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Any opinion on this item, please?

Article about: In photo number 5 just off center on the right there appears to be the number 2 L stamped very faintly in the surface unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. Regards Mark K

?

Default Re: Any opinion on this item, please?

In photo number 5 just off center on the right there appears to be the number 2 L stamped very faintly in the surface unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Regards Mark K

?

Hi Rob, did you get my PM?
    Last edited by Gast; 10-29-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Here is my example of a very similar item. Can’t tell you exactly what it is or how old it is, I know I’ve had it since around 1989. It looks very similar, has various machined holes in 3 of the 4 side as well as a large machined hole in one of the ends. Some of the holes are threaded and a couple are even counter sunk. It wasn’t rusty until just a couple of years ago when it was left outside for a few weeks, by mistake. This piece came out of a Job Box that was left at the power plant I used to work at, after a major outage. The crew that this box came from were all millwrights (mechanics) that worked on large, industrial precision machines, such as large electric generation steam turbines. The crew left the box behind and never reclaimed it, after about a year of sitting around, we broke it open and raffled off the contents to our crew.

Photo0069.jpg

Photo0071.jpg

Photo0068.jpg

Photo0070.jpg

My guess is that this is a precision “Do All” tool, a chunk of hardened steel that is machined to do what ever a machinest needed, hold something in place, used as a jig, what ever. I’ve used it for everything but probably its intended purpose, from a weight to hold down wood pieces glued together to a tire stop back when I was restoring the 40 Chevy. Again, I don’t know exactly what it is, but my guess is it is not any type of militaria, although any machinist mechanic, working during the war effort may have had there own personal “Do All” with them while working. With this also came a piece of precision ground stainless steel, about 3 inches in diameter and 6 inches in lengh. Looked to be just another "Do All" tool that was in the job box.

Russ

Looks like it might be the leg off a heavy machine, Russ.
    Funny how we still find some uses for these today !
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3