Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

asking for advice on spotting fakes

Article about: hi i have twice now been sold 1 infantry assault badge and 1 panzer tank badge which both have turned out to be fakes which has annoyed me and now in pieces in the bin(sorry had to get that

Default asking for advice on spotting fakes

hi
    i have twice now been sold 1 infantry assault badge and 1 panzer tank badge which both have turned out to be fakes which has annoyed me and now in pieces in the bin(sorry had to get that out my system)

what i am asking if anyone could help is how can i spot fakes and whats the differences between real and fakes any advice would be great as i dont want to fall for the fakes again as its begining to very costly

thanks and happy collecting

adam

Adam,
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Knowledge is your best tool to help make proper decisions. Use the Forum search feature and you will find plenty of great close up photos with descriptions of authentic badges or anything else you are interested in. There are also photos of fakes so you can learn the difference.
    And best of all, you can post pictures (the sharper the better) on the Forum here and the guys who know the difference between good and bad will be glad to steer you in the right direction. Hope this helps answer your question. Bob

?

Its not that easy. To begin with, you could buy a reference book, and study it. Read forum. Compare badges when you come across them, try to point at features that you think, dont belong there.

Experience comes with time.

When in doubt, ask here about the item, you are interested in.

Please don't bin fakes. They serve a purpose, my good friend Fischer has probably the biggest & best ISA collection on the planet. Even fake examples. In the right hands, such as his it aids his research. Which everyone will soon benefit from. As for how to spot fakes, I won't discuss openly. I'm willing to guide you via email, the less the fakers know the harder it is for them. Stewy

Read the threads that involve items you are interested in and study. Do not buy anything you are unsure of without a return policy. Post photos of anything you are interested in here BEFORE buying.
    When I started collecting, I admit, I bought a few fakes but fortunately they were not high dollar items. I do not spend a lot of dollars on books but rather use the forums to increase my knowledge. I pay the membership fees for forums that I belong to so that I am able to access the whole forum, which in some cases, includes data bases set up by more experienced members.
    This is about the best advice I can give you.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Also, go to Militaria shows so that you are able to handle as many original items that you can.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Solid advice from the above members.
    There is no easy 'short cut' where it
    can all be learned in a day.........
    Regards,

Steve.

thanks for your help lads spent quite alot of time last night looking at panzer tank badge and spotting a fair few floors i think i was more angry because i purchased them off a website militaria one off the net and so far i have had 2 fakes off him and my mate has just had a fake cap badge aswell shame we cant name and shame these people

?

Mate, a quick google search shows that the Panzerkampfabzeichen & your Nun Erst Recht badge came from Spandau Militaria. Definitely one to avoid if you are serious about original items. You have been given good advice about using the Forum to its full advantage, don't fly in half cocked!

Regards
    Brett

It is unfortunate that you had to discover that you spent money on some fake badges before researching them. We have all done it, I have a few fakes in my collection as well, but I learned from those mistakes by getting a lot of reference books.. I have over 2000 books on the categories of Militaria I collect and they have been a valuable source of information and have saved me lots of money on what would have been mistakes and fakes... I have been collecting for nearly 50 years and I still learn today from the internet, books and most important members who are willing to help others..

Try and get yourself a lot of reference books, read and study these. The internet took us by storm but nothing can compare to a good reference book. If you invest the same amount of money in reference books that went into the fake badges then after a while you will be able to spot the fakes. Spending several hundred dollars on the books will save you several thousand dollars later on when the opportunity comes to purchase real badges. Go to collector and gun shows, talk to and establish a relationship with trustworthy collectors who are willing to offer advice and suggestions. Another primary importance is to ask a lot of questions, don't be afraid to. A lot of dealers want to help younger collectors but you have to help yourself as well. I will only deal with a collector/dealer that will offer a 100% money back guarantee..

Keep the fakes that you have, separate them from the originals in your collection, try to mark them in some permanent way that they are reproductions so that if you decide to let them go the next person will not think they are original artifacts. By keeping the reproductions you will be able to compare and contrast the differences when you obtain original examples..

I will be happy to offer assistance in any areas that I am knowledgeable about to you and any others who need assistance.

Good luck with your collecting, don't get discouraged.

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast