MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Balkenkreuz or Hakenkreuz??

Article about: by Woolgar Good question Dan! Yes I believe the BK is a historic symbol of German military prowess and that's why it was chosen over the swas Nick I'd have to agree. Although I think it was

Default Balkenkreuz or Hakenkreuz??

Hi all, a question if I may?

The Hakenkreuz ( crooked cross ) was the ancient Sanskrit symbol adopted by the NSDAP as their symbol and the Balkenkreuz ( straight or beam cross ) was the symbol adopted by the 3 branches of the Wehrmacht.

..... BUT, while the hakenkreuz also found its way onto the tails of Luftwaffe planes and on the ensigns of kriegsmarine vessels, it never made it onto the vehicles of the Heer - and I wonder why??

The Reichskriegsflagge WAS flown over army barracks and did feature the hakenkreuz, and I know aerial recognition flags WERE the NSDAP ones but I wonder why we never saw tanks ( apart from Hollywood ) with the swastika emblazoned on their sides????

Any theories?

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Interesting question Dan. I do think I've seen vehicle recognition flags with the balkenkreuz though?

It would seem most German Tanks, half tracks and car jut found it easier to use a flag possibly because of grand visual a painted cross would give off when you went into battle while a recognition flag could be quickly pulled off. Here is the flag Glenn speaks of and some recon flags in use.
    11386325_1.jpg
    de^panzer.jpg
    1394155927621.jpg

?

Maybe it is supposed to look like an iron cross- After all an iron cross is an old military symbol..

Yes yes yes i am only guessing here. Dont throw stones at me.

Thanks guys!
    It's just apart from the flags its odd that the cross used on sides of vehicles was only the balkenkteuz.

The Heer never really became, as a whole, super party oriented, especially the upper echelon leadership. I think the Heer chose to present itself as German rather than NS. Wheras the Luftwaffe, under Göring was very NS oriented.

The KM wasn't though and i think only flew the Hakkenkreuz as it was the country's flag at the time.

The Afrika Korp vehicles had the Hakenkreuz incorporated into their Palm tree and Swastika symbols stenciled on their vehicles.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    The Afrika Korp vehicles had the Hakenkreuz incorporated into their Palm tree and Swastika symbols stenciled on their vehicles.
    thanks William - I had forgotten about that!

Quote by fallbarbarossa View Post
    The Heer never really became, as a whole, super party oriented, especially the upper echelon leadership. I think the Heer chose to present itself as German rather than NS. Wheras the Luftwaffe, under Göring was very NS oriented.

The KM wasn't though and i think only flew the Hakkenkreuz as it was the country's flag at the time.
    Thankyou, that's a very logical explanation - just what I was after!!
    Cheers from Australia - Dan

Good question Dan! Yes I believe the BK is a historic symbol of German military prowess and that's why it was chosen over the swas

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast