Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Battles occurring in Europe days after the victory

Article about: Hi everyone. I just watched a short historical fiction series called “Three days in the life of Lt. Kravtsov”, and without spoiling the ending, it very briefly mentions a battle that took pl

Default Battles occurring in Europe days after the victory

Hi everyone. I just watched a short historical fiction series called “Three days in the life of Lt. Kravtsov”, and without spoiling the ending, it very briefly mentions a battle that took place 3 days after the victory over Germany (May 9th for Russians). I would love to learn some more info about the battles that took place days after the victory, but I cannot seem to find a lot of info online, and I would love to learn from you guys! Thanks for the information, as I have just now learned that there were battles that partook after the war (we don’t even learn anything about WWII other than the holocaust in school- that’s horrible!). Thanks once again!

In The Netherlands a battle took place on the island of Texel from the 5th of april till the 20th of may 1945. It concerned a batallion of Georgian "volunteers" in the Wehrmacht.

The Georgians feared the reaction to their service in the German army by the Soviet Union. So on the night of the fifth of april 1945 the Georgians mutinied and slaughtered a sizeable number of German soldiers in their bunks. German reaction was swift and bloody. Reinforcements were sent to the island and started a relentless hunt for the Georgians. Prisoners were not taken by either side.

At last on the 20th of may Canadian forces took over the island and thus the war in The Netherlands came to a final end.

In the end, two weeks after the war, the body count amounted up to: 120 Dutch civilians/resistance fighters, 565 Georgians and more than 800 German troops.

The Georgians were repatriated to the Soviet Union, dressed in allied uniforms. Many were punished foir their service in the German army and sent to the Gulags. The survivors were rehabillitated after destalinization in 1956.

Wow, thanks for the amazingly interesting story! It is sad that there were still battles taking place AFTER the war ended and that there was a war in the first place. What a shame. Let's hope that another world war never occurs again.