Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

berlin trip 2013

Article about: that's 1 cute kid you have james.

that's 1 cute kid you have james.

many thanks harry ,she's a good kid and to be fair to her did very well ,never complained once even on the 5 hr 3rd reich tour ,she was spoilt rotten afterwards for sure ,cheers james

Looks like you had a great trip James, good to see the weather was good for you ! It looks like it has changed a lot since I was last there, the wall was still in its entirety complete with guards ! that was in 1988 ! I visited a lot during the 1980's....along the transit routes with my travel warrant......Helmstadt to the Grunewald, through the corridor, I have not been back since reunification.....I must make the effort !
    Prost ! Steve.

Quote by James C View Post
    thanks jake for your nice commentsthanks kevin and cheers terry ,you know me a big kid ,just had to bring a piece back ,when i told my daughter what i wanted to buy ,she thought i meant a stick of rock ,not a lump of rock and thanks eric ,sounds like you had a great time ,can i ask if you will return some day ,thanks again james
    Hi James. Yes I will go again in the next year or two when I visit Switzerland.
    My 5,000th post
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Great pics James ! A fascinating city, I was there in 1980 and visited both sides of the wall

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

many thanks steve yes you are spot on ,the weather was superb the whole time we were there ,much warmer than in the uk ,its hard for me to imagine how it used to be as you witnessed ,it would be great for comparison and thanks for your thoughts too nick ,i would have loved to have been there with you back in the 80's just to see for myself how it really was , and thanks eric for your prompt reply ,its nice to hear you will return and grongrats on your 5k post im lagging behind a wee bit ,slowly slowly catchy monkey one thing that stuck in my mind was a little story the guide told us of and one ive never heard ,it was Mendelssohn is still on the roof ,reinhard Heydrich orders the removal of a statue of Mendelssohn from the roof of the concert hall in Czechoslovakia because of his jewish roots but unfortunately the guards removing the statue arent sure which one to take down ,so they use there logic ,it must be the guy with the big hooter ,but as the statue is being dismantled ,it is realised that they are mistakenly removing the famous german composer Wilhelm Richard Wagner instead Mendelssohn also wagner's music was supposedly played in the nazi death camps

Great pics and love the battle dammaged walls etc.

Im supprised no ones tryed to take the red stone from the reich chancellery off the wall in the subway ? Could imagine small bits selling for alot of money

Great thread! Thanks. I like Berlin.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

many thanks adrian ,i agree berlin was great ,maybe next time i go i find the flak tower ,and thanks taylor ,im sorry if i wasnt explaining myself well enough here ,from what i can gather mohrenstrabe metro station was supposedly refitted in the 1950's using cladding from the chancellery probably because of the close proximity ,i think the red marble you see in its present form was quarried in italy and has nothing to do with the reichschancellery ,hope this clears things up cheers james

?

What a great thread!
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences and photos from your trip James
    I hope to make the trip over there also, hopefully in the not too distant future.

Brad.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast