Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

Article about: I hope this hasn't been done before, but I was inspired to start this thread today. There are threads on our best helmets, daggers, EKI's, EKII's, tunics, weapons, etc. How about a thread on

?

Default Re: Best Item You Ever Missed Out On Buying

When I was a young kid, my grandfather, who was a master choreographer at the national theater took me backstage to look around. The propmaster offered me a machinegun-belt from an MG42, around 1.5 meters long and full of inert rounds. They had used it as a prop in a previous show and no longer needed it. My grandfather said bullets weren't something appropriate for an 8 year old, so I politely refused.

I've heard stories from a much older friend of mine, about how when they were kids (in the 60's) digging around in fields and finding a panzerfaust or an MP40 was common, and everyone was throwing away german helmets like they were the plague. At one point he had around 100 of em in a pile that was thrown away.

Nitram

Great items and stories. Lets keep this one going....

?

DE banner, complete. Still kicking myself over that one...

I was offered a US 5th Special Forces presentation dagger. I saw
    the "Japan Sword" marking on it and thought it was a fake British
    Commando knife. I can't believe I was that dumb
    I've been looking for one ever since.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

A deact old spec MP40 in a local surplus/junk type shop in about 1993/94. It was complete except for the mag (I had one of them anyhow) and the finish had that well used look about it (which ain't no bad thing), I can't remember the price (£200 rings a bell though). I'd just recently bought something else (an deact MG34) and whilst I had the money I tended to restrict myself to not spending too much in the same month so I didn't go with my gut reaction to just buy it and so walked up into the town centre whilst mulling it over. After a little bit of thought I decided sod the money I was going to get it, however due to the time I had to get back to work (I was on my dinner break) and so left it until the next day to go and get it. Alas by the time I went back next day on my dinner break it had gone...I was gutted and could of kicked myself. I never did get around to getting an MP40 and definitely won't now 'cos of the prices!
    Did get an old spec MP44 in 1996 for less than £300 though which dulls the pain a little bit!

The other thing I also kick myself over is a 20mm mag for the Flak 38 (yeah something as stupid as that!). I was going to buy one at a local show, many many moons ago (before the MP40 'incident'), had it in me hand, was just about the hand over the money when I changed my mind and bought a gas mask and cannister instead (didn't have the money for both at the time), figured I'd soon pick a mag up another time (since there must of been millions and millions of 'em... ) and bugger me if I've still never managed to find another! Seen the odd one but it's either been sold, or it's been in a set of two with the box (too expensive for me) or a well knacked relic. One of them simple things that should be easy to find but for some reason they're all hiding from me (any one in the uk got a nice cheap one for me!).

I got a new item I just missed by hours. A Knights Cross, with ribbon, cased. Enough said.

It makes me sad and angry just thinking about it, so I will refer you gentlemen to this thread for my answer:

Worst timing ever.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    It makes me sad and angry just thinking about it, so I will refer you gentlemen to this thread for my answer:

Worst timing ever.
    Eeeeek! Makes your heart sink, FAST! If people only knew what they had.....or cared what they had

an ebay auction for a No7 mk1/L with black plastic scales, I put in my bid and clicked confirm, then it made me log in, stupid 24 hour log in, so by the time I got back it was ended, but less than a week later it was relisted because the winning bidder wouldn't pay. I got it the second time around though

?

Mich that looks like a good project, how long do you think before you will be whizzing around in it?? You should open a new thread for it !! I would love to see it being restored slowly but surely.. Cheers Terry.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast