Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Best militaria shop in South West England

Article about: Not sure if this is the right place for this but never mind. I'm not in the habit of recommending dealers but this one is an exception for various reasons. I realise that it's unlikely a maj

?

Default Best militaria shop in South West England

Not sure if this is the right place for this but never mind.

I'm not in the habit of recommending dealers but this one is an exception for various reasons. I realise that it's unlikely a majority of members will be close enough to visit but it can be of general interest also.

The shop is called "Pastimes" located on Lower Park Row, Bristol, England.

I've been visiting this shop for about 40 years and it's hardly changed in that time (including the owner!). The thing I like most is that it's one of those places you can have a good dig around and find all sorts of interesting items. It's an untidy shop, but in a good way - you never know what you might find! It's surprising how much stuff can fit into one small room. The owner has being running the place single-handed for all this time. This is an 'old school' shop and has never had it's own web page.

I think it's a blessing that such shops still exist but they are increasingly rare, even in the UK. This is one of very few to have survived several decades. With that in mind, I don't mind sometimes paying perhaps a little more for certain items. I know some view dealers as over-priced. Some certainly can be, but this one continues more due to the interest and passion of it's owner. It's the place I bought my first German Iron Cross about 35 years ago. Even though I'm not collecting so much militaria these days, I can never resist the urge to have a look there and see what's new. Back in the days before eBay it was the place I would go to buy but also sell anything from my collection I didn't want to keep.

I've included photographs taken outside on my last visit in summer 2016 and a video screenshot from my visit back in 2011. The owner has since removed the huge pile of wartime related books and magazines from the floor which had been there about 20 years!

Whilst eBay is a good source for collectors, it's still nice to actively visit shops, flea markets and shows.

It will be a sad day when this shop closes.

If anyone is lucky enough to be in the area, please bear in mind that it's closed on Wednesday's and lunchtimes from about 13:00-14:00 if I recall correctly!

DSCF1701.jpg

DSCF1700.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-02-05-14h26m09s653.jpg

do they have a website.

Read the text...

Quote by kirederf7 View Post
    Read the text...
    Ah well maybe it would be a good idea to get one, it opens up a new world for sales.

?

Is he a small chap with a beard? been about a long time

?

Yes. He sometimes pops up with a stand at various militaria shows around the UK.