Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best Small Shop Finds: 2013

Article about: I was viewing Chopperman's thread and beating myself up over my "best" item of 2013. I still haven't decided, but an idea popped into my head for another type of category. We all l

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Thank you, Jerry. A great commemorative piece. Post anything you have from small shops. Seems like only a few of is visit small shops and come home with much. I figured we'd have more than this, lol.
    Hi Todd,

as I am on a theme, another from the same shop, another commemorative plaque for Lt Colonel Joseph Jacob Davis OBE TD. A large wall plaque for the OBE he was awarded by the Queen for services to Wales. It is the size of a side plate or small dinner plate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Or if you prefer a helmet from a different small shop, pre WWI FS helmet.
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Some nice finds,all I ever find is junk not worth buying.....Pete.
    Truth be told, I probably frequent the same 5 or so antique stores and small shops local to me about once a week. I have only come home with I think 5 things this year. Much of what I find is over priced or not in my collecting interests.

Every item in my collection is found on a small shop/flea market.I've never bought something from the internet :P
    So 2 of my favorite buys of the year was my Greek WW2 helmet and my German gas mask with microphone fitting

DSC00463.jpgDSC00464.jpgDSC00887.jpgDSC_0028.jpgEvery item in my collection is found on a small

Quote by GreekMilitaria View Post
    Every item in my collection is found on a small shop/flea market.I've never bought something from the internet :P
    So 2 of my favorite buys of the year was my Greek WW2 helmet and my German gas mask with microphone fitting

DSC00463.jpgDSC00464.jpgDSC00887.jpgDSC_0028.jpgEvery item in my collection is found on a small
    Love those Greek helmets!..

hahaha me too

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Truth be told, I probably frequent the same 5 or so antique stores and small shops local to me about once a week. I have only come home with I think 5 things this year. Much of what I find is over priced or not in my collecting interests.
    I visit the one small shop and the same two antique centers about every couple of weeks, another two that I visit about once a month and one other that I visit a few times a year, the latter is the best but is too far away to go more often. I also buy some items from online shops and quite a bit from the bay, which for British items can be pretty good, though I probably get outbid on 90% of what I bid on as some people have more money than sense IMHO.

In some ways a best buy this year came from a local furniture shop, a complete WWII uniform grouping comprising his cap, tunic, trousers and great coat. They had been on display for many years and the owner had resisted many offers to buy them but I instead commented that it was a shame they seemed neglected and covered in dust to the shop assistant and because of my concern he sold them to me for a very good price. Again he was a Veteran from Wales and the tunic and trousers are named and dated to him. The seller still has his helmet for me, when he remembers to bring it in.
    Regards,

Jerry

Another find this year in the corner booth of an antique shop.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Some nice finds,all I ever find is junk not worth buying.....Pete.
    Same thing here, mate.

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Considering the fact that the Forum has helped you to make the "Score of the Year"...I suggest you join the Forum as a Gold Club Member...As
    you've seen it's a worthy investment! Welcome, friend....
    cheers, Glenn

- - ------- - -
    Good point Glenn!

Below is an graphic I produced charting the 644 members visiting WRF over a 24hr period (15-16 Dec 2013) which shows clearly that the overwhelming majority i.e. 72% of those registered have not become paid Gold Club members (24%).

WRF_24hrs.jpg

...and below a snapshot of 146 members who had read this thread as of 10:21 GMT this morning:

Screen Shot 2013-12-20 at 10.26.23.png
    Last edited by StefanM; 12-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast