MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best things to see in Normandy?

Article about: Hey guys, so I will be going all around Europe for a month starting in mid June into mid July. Happens that I will be staying in Normandy for 6 days to take in all the attractions and sights

?

Default Best things to see in Normandy?

Hey guys, so I will be going all around Europe for a month starting in mid June into mid July. Happens that I will be staying in Normandy for 6 days to take in all the attractions and sights. Now i'm going to need all of your help who have been there. We are willing to travel out (as we have a rental car) to see some of these sights so please list them if you think they are worth it! I really want to make this week worth it so please guys throw out all of your suggestions!
    Thanks Again
    Ryan B

La Cambe German war cemetery is a good place to go. Very moving just like the American and British cemetery.
    21,222 German war graves are in this spot, including the grave of Michael Wittmann.

The beaches of course would be a good start Ryan. Depends where your interests lie ? I was in Arromanches, Bayeux, and Benouville last 6th June 2014, plenty to see, a great museum at Bayeux across the road from the CWGC cemetery. Also a good museum at Benouville ( Pegasus Bridge )

Depends what interests you......

?

There is plenty to see.You will run out of time before You run out of places to visit.I would suggest Utah beach and museum,Arromanche museum Sainte -Mere-Eglise,The battery at Longues-sur-Mer and Pointe du Hoc.Ive been three years running and still havent seen everything yet.The French are very decent and hospitable and the local foods and drink are great.Have a good time.Attachment 850408

Ahh Mont Sainte Michael is worth a visit if You can fit it in.Allow a full long day though!

?

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Basically anything WWII interests me, what ever is worth it ill see it.
    Ryan

All the above suggestions are exellent,another good museum is Dead mans corner museum(Paratrooper Militaria) just south of St-come-du-mont on the way to Carentan (N13) It has an exellent collection of Fallschirmjager & U.S. airborne material, some of which once belonged to Major "Dick" Winters. Below the Museum is a shop selling both original & repro artifacts ,get yourself a good map of Normandy & plot your campaign & enjoy your visit, Cheers Paul

26082012622.jpg26082012632.jpg26082012607.jpg

If you are close to Rouen during your trip ,there is a very decent museum at Duclair,in a beautiful castle,specialized in the German retreat and the crossing of the Seine River
    Château du Taillis
    Rouen is a medieval town ,you need a couple of hours to see the best she has to offer.The new Joan of Arc memorial is worth the trip
    Jeanne d

And remember ,when you smile to someone ,you open the doors of his heart.Frogs are not rude or vulgar.Not more than the average European.Keep in mind that the English is NOT our language (as you can easily read my poor skill,héhé) , ,so with 2 or 3 words of basic french,you will change the game.
    Simply smile to them and you'll see how we welcome you.

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    All the above suggestions are exellent,another good museum is Dead mans corner museum(Paratrooper Militaria) just south of St-come-du-mont on the way to Carentan (N13) It has an exellent collection of Fallschirmjager & U.S. airborne material, some of which once belonged to Major "Dick" Winters. Below the Museum is a shop selling both original & repro artifacts ,get yourself a good map of Normandy & plot your campaign & enjoy your visit, Cheers Paul

26082012622.jpg26082012632.jpg26082012607.jpg
    Just got back from Normandy. Dead mans corner is closed. Only the shop is still open. They got a new attraction in place. Still a good place to visit. If you want look up this website strijdbewijs. He has everything you need and also a route in English.

?

Hi Does any one know when Dead Mans Corner will re-open? I would like to go this year but dont want a wasted trip if its still closed.

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast