Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Blood, Steel,Myth II SS Panzer Korps and the Road to Prochorowka !

Article about: youve convinced me to get a copy

4md
    ?

Default Re: Blood, Steel,Myth II SS Panzer Korps and the Road to Prochorowka !

youve convinced me to get a copy

A MUST!! I used to embarrase my Father by asking his friends of particular battles, referring to supposed reference books and historians; they would look at each other then look at me and say " thank goodness we weren't there then"

I've just finished this book and can only agree with all that has been said before. It is a large book (in size and in the number of pages) but reads so easily. While the story of the II SS-Pz.Korps is the central theme, the book also does a good job of covering the units of XLVIII Pz.Korps, also of 4 Panzerarmee. 11 Pz.Division comes out of the narrative as a well led and combat effective unit while the much fabled Großdeutschland Division comes out of it as being a unit striken by poor leadership and personality conflicts (Hoernlein & von Strachwitz, von Strachwitz & Decker of the attached Panther Brigade) to such an extent that the panzer losses of GD & its attached Panther Brigade in the first days of the offensive were far higher than those of other panzer equipped units - something Decker attributed to von Strachwitz's poor leadership & tactical abilities, and yet Decker was to show in the latter part of the battle that he also made a decision that caused GD to receive a rebuke from higher command.

The maps are very good and clearly show the course of the battles on both the western & eastern flanks of the drive to Prochorowka and the photos are some of the best I have seen.

I haven't read any of Nipe's previous works but I feel that he deserves 'bonus points' for actually being willing to change a previously held opinion that he voiced in a previous book thanks to research carried out for this book. Maybe if other authors in the past had done likewise than maybe the myth built up around the armoured clash at Prochorowoka would of been laid to rest long ago.

?

Guys as it is now the 7th July and Operation Citadel began on the 5th July 1943 and was well underway 70 years ago today i am bumping this thread !!

I have noticed that many publishers are churning out the Kursk books for the 70th Anniversary with many ignoring the facts that were uncoverd in this book and still focusing on the " Greatest Tank Battle " in history at Prochorowka which George Nipe has proved is false so please if you want to buy a book on Kursk buy this one !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

4md
    ?

I bought it and read it, Amazing! well worth getting this book. Its the only book i have read on Kursk and i was under the impression that the Germans has a large amount of tigers and Panthers at this battle. What the ss divisions did with what they had is Astounding!

I have just purchased another book on kursk by Lloyd Clark it will be interesting to see what he says.

regards Paul

?

Will be interesting to see if the new book follows the old " Greatest Tank Battle " story Paul , let us know.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

4md
    ?

LLoyd Clarks book is called "Kursk the greatest battle" so hopfully its factual. I am currently reading Otto Carius's, tigers in the mud, so i will read Kursk next and see what its like

[

Sounds very interesting book Paul. It is almost 500 pages so quite a big read, perfect for vacations
    Do you know if it is available in soft cover too?
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Sounds very interesting book Paul. It is almost 500 pages so quite a big read, perfect for vacations
    Do you know if it is available in soft cover too?
    Only hard back Chris !!

1st July 1916

Pity. Hardbacks are not very convenient to carry with you and quite heavy while reading.
    I just ordered my copy though
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast