Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'Blood of the Vikings' - Must See TV.

Article about: I mentioned this program in passing in another thread, but just wanted to bang the drum for this fine program here as well, in case some hadnt read the other thread unrelated to Vikings. Her

?

Default 'Blood of the Vikings' - Must See TV.

I mentioned this program in passing in another thread, but just wanted to bang the drum for this fine program here as well, in case some hadnt read the other thread unrelated to Vikings. Here is what I wrote about it:

If anybody has but the slightest interest in the Vikings and from whence they came, I heartedly recommend the following BBC production.

Without one of the finest documentaries on the subject, that I have ever seen - and Ive seen a few.

'BLOOD OF THE VIKINGS' trace the origins of the Vikings and amongst other things through blood tests/DNA determine, where they settled in the UK.

Goes without saying, that York plays a not insignificant role in the production.

Again, I simply can not recommend this enough - far above all the generic shows that gets churned out, this rises as a shining beacon.

Enough hyperbole - here it is, nothing less than fantastic must-see-TV:

Okay, so Im biased, as Im from Viking stock, but watch it or we'll come back and rape your goats and kill your women!

WARNING! Once you get immersed in the documentary, you wont be able to stop watching it and you will have to hang on to the end.
    Last edited by Scout; 03-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Default Re: 'Blood of the Vikings' - Must See TV.

I've seen it mate and it's a great show, strangely enough some people think i look like a viking!..
    merlin 037.jpg

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I've seen it mate and it's a great show, strangely enough some people think i look like a viking!..
    merlin 037.jpg
    Looks like you could hang out with these guys and gals, that I snapped a pic of

Strangely enough the helmet belongs to a Polish friend of mine, he's a member of a viking reenactment group somewhere near Krakow!..

A great series and I have the book to accompany it, as well as plenty of others on the Vikings.

Here are some pics of me (arrowed) from back in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Linky....

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I linked to the youtube video in the OP.
    I just now went back and punched it; for some reason it didnt take.
    I have edited it.
    Thanks to the Nedster

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    A great series and I have the book to accompany it, as well as plenty of others on the Vikings.

Here are some pics of me (arrowed) from back in the day.
    Did you have a viking name Jerry? Taffy Blood axe or Jones the Berserker maybe!...

?

Did you have a viking name Jerry? Taffy Blood axe or Jones the Berserker maybe!...

Jerry the Viking!, otherwise known as the firelord, though Taffy bloodaxe sounds really good. Jones the berserker would not have been authentic as Jones is a post medieval concoction partly because of the English's inability to pronounce or spell Welsh names. I should of course point out that there is no J in the Welsh alphabet, so Jerry would not be a period name or at least not spelt that way. Jones is a corruption of the name Iones and it has been argued that this corruption was gladly adopted by some Welsh people as they wished to be more English at a time when Wales was a marginal backwater, much like today. and of course, the term Wales or Welsh is not even a word from the language of that nation, as it is derived from the Anglo Saxon word for foreigner, with Cymru being the native term for the area of Britain and derives from the word Cambrogi meaning brother or fellow country man, but it must also be remembered that Wales is not a country but a principality and is not represented on the flag of the Union.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast