Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bomber Command Memorial unveiled.

Article about: One of the lads who did not return......my Grandfather, Flying Officer Samual Lee, Lancaster Observer/pilot, 15 Squadron (RAF Mildenhall), Bomber Command, volunteered Sept 39' went through t

?

Default Re: Bomber Command Memorial unveiled.

Quote by big ned View Post
    At no point should this memorial be controversial, it is not, and will never be, a symbol or homage to bombing tactics and strategy. It is a monuement to the fifty five and a half thousand young men who served, and in many cases died, under the auspices of Bomber Command in the service of their country, commonwealth and also the free world.

Why can't the worthy, hand wringing armchair revisionists of today see that? It boils my p!ss just listening to them!

I am proud to be a citizen of a country that, besides many other failings, has the people and integrity to push this fantastic project through to fruition, and brings long awaited justice into the light, by honouring these brave, selfless men. Truly Per Ardua Ad Astra!

Ned.
    Spot On mate.

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I watched the unveiling of this memorial on Telly the other night, it really is a terrific memorial and one I'd like to visit.

Well said Ned.

During World War Two, Bomber Command flew 364,514 sorties.

297,663 of these were flown at night.

For every 100 men who flew with Bomber Command, 56 were killed in the air or died of wounds received during a sortie.

12 out of every 100 men ended up as a prisoner-of-war.

14 out of every 100 survived being shot down.

Only 27% of all those in Bomber Command emerged from the war unscathed in any capacity; 73% suffered in some manner – a higher rate than for the UK’s infantry regiments during the war.

In all, 55,573 were killed with an average age of 22.

38,462 of those killed were British; 4,050 were Australians; 9,980 were Canadians and 1,703 were New Zealanders.

Nearly 10,000 men from Bomber Command became prisoners-of-war.

During the course of World War Two, personnel from Bomber Command were awarded 19 Victoria Crosses, 9 of them posthumously.

8,325 bombers were lost in total from Bomber Command.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Terrifying stats Nick, the courage of those blokes was amazing. I'm full of admiration for these fellas, lest we forget.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    At no point should this memorial be controversial, it is not, and will never be, a symbol or homage to bombing tactics and strategy. It is a monuement to the fifty five and a half thousand young men who served, and in many cases died, under the auspices of Bomber Command in the service of their country, commonwealth and also the free world.

Why can't the worthy, hand wringing armchair revisionists of today see that? It boils my p!ss just listening to them!

I am proud to be a citizen of a country that, besides many other failings, has the people and integrity to push this fantastic project through to fruition, and brings long awaited justice into the light, by honouring these brave, selfless men. Truly Per Ardua Ad Astra!

Ned.
    Ned i totally agree mate , why people today are influenced by some of the liberal , handwringer historians of today into believing that there is any controversy involved here has always been beyond me and boils my urine also !!

The whirlwind was reaped !! But as you rightly say this monument is not about that , it is to the young men who stepped up when they were needed and sacrificed everything , the only controversy is the shocking treatment of Bomber Command from the Top down since the end of the war which has finally been put right by the unveiling of this memorial.

My Uncle , a Pathfinder with 7 Squadron was lost with all his crew in June 1943 returning from a raid and is also remembered at Runnymeade, now at last we have somewhere else where he all the Bomber Boys can be remembered.

Nick thanks for producing the stats which reflect the true and horrendous level of sacrifice made by Bomber Command.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3