Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Books Pass-along and Discussion

Article about: Brian (Octavian) and I (drmessimer) want to start a thread that is essentially a round-robin book-read and book-discussion thread. The idea is that you send a Forum member a book that you ha

Default Re: Books Pass-along and Discussion

Hi Brian,

I was looking into buying this book last summer, but after a little research I was in doubt about the authenticity and ended up not buying it.

Opinions seems quite mixed, for instance take a look at these two threads:

Feldgrau.net • View topic - The Black March by Peter Neumann

Axis History Forum • The Black March

Hope it doesnt ruin the book for you

Cheers, Mads

Many a long year ago-before the age of the computer, I read this book and was also wondering about it and why the unusual and abrupt ending and what happened to the author. So, I wrote a letter to the publisher asking just that-was this a true story and what happened to the writer. After an eternity, I received back a reply that it was, indeed, a true story and the author did survive the war and had given his book to his family to have published-presumably for some sort of income, seeing as how it was post-war Germany and all. As for the abrupt ending, they said that this is the way that it was written and given to the family and it was retained as they received it. There was no further elaboration in the letter and I gave it no more thought, until years later, in the computer age, when I saw heated debates on it being an elaborate hoax and in the other camp, there were those who said it was not. Apparently, the debate has never yet ended.

My personal opinion of it is that it is an authentic story and I believe that the author did exist and returned from Russian captivity. Nothing but this story has ever been published and I just assumed that the author had died not long after returning-no doubt due to war injuries and post-war treatment in captivity. If it Was either an outright fake or if it had been ghost-written, it was written by a very skilled and believable writer who has, apparently, never since written another book or article and has never come forward to take credit for a very successful publication-and one would think that the ghost-writer/fake author certainly Would have.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the reply concerning the validity of Black March Wagriff. I would not have recommended it to forum members had I known it was definitely fiction. But I had also read conflicting reports of its authenticity. Author certainly describes some chilling experiences that grips the reader. Real or not we all know some truly horrifying events took place on the eastern front similar to the ones described in the book. I too hope it was the real deal as it was truly a great read.

Lets say if it was a ghost writer, then he knew a hell of a lot in regards to the SS Vikings movements. At this moment i am leaning to the facts that this was probably a real SS officer, but in disguise to get the book to market. Its not to say that some parts were expanded on to give the reader more action and suspense. It just seems to well written for someone who was not actually there. All the little details especially of the Vikings movements are pretty detail and historically accurate.

?

Any books available? I am nearly finished "The Forgotten Soldier" and would like to start another book when I finished it.

Cheers, Pat

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    Any books available? I am nearly finished "The Forgotten Soldier" and would like to start another book when I finished it.

Cheers, Pat
    I have Soldiers of Destruction, it is an easy read and very interesting. Just message me your address and I can send it.

Corey

I have THE BLACK MARCH ready to send

and I've got "Stalingrad" if you or anyone else are interested.

Cheers, Mads

Just received "The Retreat" from Dwight, I will post a review when Im done reading.

Cheers, Mads

Oh good Shad. Cannot wait to here your review. If you like go right ahead and sign your name in it like i did. Should have put that i am from Oklahoma. Can you inscribe that for me?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast