Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brian Leigh Davis RIP Military Author

Article about: I have heard on another forum that the author Brian L Davis has recently died. Most of us will have either, if not both, of his classics on German or British army uniforms and insignia, stil

Default Brian Leigh Davis RIP Military Author

I have heard on another forum that the author Brian L Davis has recently died. Most of us will have either, if not both, of his classics on German or British army uniforms and insignia, still considered by many to be the classic text books on the subjects.

RIP.

One of the first books on military history that I owned was his German Army Uniforms & Insignia in the 70's which I still own and his equivalent volume for the British army is still the best book on the subject.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

This is a real shock. I spoke to Brian just recently and he seemed fine. I first knew Brian back in the early 70s and was proud to count him as a friend.

We bandy the title" expert" about far too freely. In 45 years of involvement in the hobby, I could count the number of real experts on the fingers of one hand. He was one of the true gentlemen of the hobby, always ready to help and advise, (just like his fellow Brit, David Littlejohn, another true "giant" who is now sadly gone) and one of the few people who actually deserved the accolade "expert".

I know he was working on what would no doubt have been an awesome study of British WW1uniforms.

The world will be a poorer place without him.

R.I.P old friend.

?

Very sad to hear this; I have quite a number of books that he authored. R.I.P.

BobS

?

I'm sad to hear that Brian Leigh Davis has died - As a teenager, I bought the book he wrote for the Blandford series 'German Uniforms of the Third Reich 1933-1945' (1980) and I refer to it still. Its good to hear that he was creating new work until the end, but a pity that the book on British WW1 uniforms mentioned above is presumably left unfinished. He will live on in his work.

Philip

?

Very sad , his books sit in one of my bookshelves next to me and are still one of the first books i reach for with regard to British and German Uniforms,

RIP Brian

A great loss and my condolences to Brians family and friends! He will be missed.

I met Brian a few times, as a beginning collector, when visiting militaria-shows in the Netherlands.
    Occasionally he helped me, when asked for assistance (for example with "Aiguillettes of the Third Reich").

In the 1970's he was a person I considered as an example, an author, which I intended to become! Thanks to
    him, I did!

RIP Brian......................

naamloos brian 1.png
    Last edited by Wilhelm Saris; 08-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Sad news, RIP.

I too have his German Army Uniforms and Insignia got it for Christmas 1978 he was a early TR and other items author I still have it and refer to it one heck of a author in my books RIP. timothy

In the early days of my collecting his books were amongst the first I purchased. Rest in Peace.

I always will remember him as a friendly guy, who gave me the colored proof-prints from
    German Uniforms of the Third Reich 1933-1945 with Pierre Turner drawings.
    With the figures I decorated a part of my collecting room (see image of a wall), when I
    changed my collection into buckle collecting.

img141 - kopie.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast