Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Brian Leigh Davis RIP Military Author

Article about: I have heard on another forum that the author Brian L Davis has recently died. Most of us will have either, if not both, of his classics on German or British army uniforms and insignia, stil

?

RIP Mr. Davis

Semper Fi
    Phil

His book on German uniforms, insignia & equipment is a masterpiece...I was about 12 years old when it was published and remember how fascinated I was, as it was the first 3rd Reich reference-book I had ever seen (No books like this in Germany at the time)...I highly recommend his reference-books to both beginning & advanced collectors...
    cheers, Glenn

I Have just picked up the latest ‘After the Battle’ magazine, and was saddened to learn of the passing of the renowned military expert and author Brian Leigh Davis.
    Sadly it takes a couple of months to get the magazine here in Australia, so my news is a bit late, but had to add a bit more to this thread if that is OK...

Brian Leigh Davis passed away in hospital after a short illness on the 15th of July, 2014.

Following service with the Life Guards in the 1950s, Brian sailed the world with P&O before beginning his career in military research. From the 1970s he was a prolific author
    of works on military insignia of which his books on German and British uniforms of World War Two are perhaps the best known. Active to the last Brian was working to complete
    his book on the Kriegsmarine at the time of his death and was planning a book on First World War British uniforms.

Brian was also an adviser of uniforms for many films of the 1970s including "Where Eagles Dare" and "A Bridge Too Far" - although his expert advice was not always heeded.

For over twenty year Brian edited The Formation Sign the journal of the Military Heraldry Society the look and contents of which he improved enormously during his tenure as
    well as being a regular contributor.

Brian's range of knowledge was immense and all of us who are interested in military insignia owe him a debt. He will be missed.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (11.9 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (31.4 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (22.5 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (35.1 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (44.2 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (21.3 KB, 44 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (103.4 KB, 0 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (16.6 KB, 43 views)

?

I only learned of Brian's death recently when a friend mentioned it. Shocked and saddened. I met him several times in the 1990's via the Surrey Military Collector's Society and always found him very friendly and helpful.

LBDWPG
    ?

I was looking for info about Mr. Davis, and sad to see that he has passed away. I have a few of his books, and no doubt they helped me in my hobby interests. Sad indeed, RIP Sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2