Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

The Brits Who Fought For Hitler

Article about: John amery was executed in 1946 for his participation in the British freikorps

Default Re: The Brits Who Fought For Hitler

And from the other link I posted;

There is a persistent rumor that one BFC member, Reg Courlander, took part in the Battle of Berlin, and destroyed a Soviet tank. By this time, Roy Courlander was far behind Allied lines, and the movements of the other members of this unit are clearly known. The only person who can be proved to have seen combat in the uniform of the BFC was their translator "Bob" Rossler, who remained with the Nordland division when it went into battle in Berlin, to fight alongside the Volkssturm, Hitlerjugend, and the other mixed bag units defending the city.

Obviously I can't comment on whether this is correct, I wasn't there and haven't researched the BFC!

?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    And from the other link I posted;

There is a persistent rumor that one BFC member, Reg Courlander, took part in the Battle of Berlin, and destroyed a Soviet tank. By this time, Roy Courlander was far behind Allied lines, and the movements of the other members of this unit are clearly known. The only person who can be proved to have seen combat in the uniform of the BFC was their translator "Bob" Rossler, who remained with the Nordland division when it went into battle in Berlin, to fight alongside the Volkssturm, Hitlerjugend, and the other mixed bag units defending the city.

Obviously I can't comment on whether this is correct, I wasn't there and haven't researched the BFC!
    No information exists in any German records or accounts that suggest that any member of the BFK engaged in combat whilst a member of the Korps in Berlin or otherwise , i suspect that any " source " that this occurred is only rumour , speculation or lies from those concerned !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

A book that I had given many years ago on the subject was "Jackals of the Reich" by Ronald Seth.
    It was published in the early 1970's (the copy I have is dated 1973!), and is sub-titled "The First Full Account of Hitler's Free Corps"

It is written in, IMO, an unbiased way and makes for, shall we say, "interesting reading"!

The "Author's Note" page at the beginning states:

"This is a story of treachery committed by the most inept traitors the world has probably ever seen. For the most part they were contemptible men by any standards. Though two or three among them sincerely and genuinely believed in the fascist ideology, and one or two were frightened into their treachery, the rest were opportunists who were attracted by promises of relief from the miseries of the POW camp. Except for the dedicated Nazis, long before the end most were planning how they might dissemble their treachery."

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

I believe there was many eyewitness accounts of the recruiters being chased out of British pow camps.

?

Fascinating thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6